Saturday, March 24, 2012

The Rest of the Story

I've just finished a post about Faith turning six and I wrote about several highlights of the last week.  But you know that's not all there is to it!
Let me share a bit of the other side of the last week.  Just a few things I need to share.  You, dear reader, deserve to know the truth.

I developed a nervous twitch in my left eye from the stress of teaching Elinor long division.  She's bright-- very bright.  That's not the problem.  The problem is she doesn't want to do it.  Go figure.  Does anyone want to do long division?  Who cares if you want to do it or not!  I know-- I'm so understanding.

But as it turns out, the silent stubborn types have some very effective tactics to get out of doing what they don't want to do and none of them involve yelling or screaming.  GRRRAAAAGH!!!!!!  Let me just assure you that I am not proud of my behavior toward my 3rd born this week and am determined to control myself next week.

I am still reading Middlemarch, and I have enjoyed it, but it is long and I'm feeling frustrated that I haven't gotten it done yet.  Months- for months I've been working my way through it.  I have read a few other things in between, but I want to get this one finished up.  It's weighing on me.

Last Saturday I ran eleven miles and it was AWFUL.  Horrible.  Painful.  Why-the-heck-am-I-doing-this-BAD.  I-can-hardly-walk, take-3-Advil-debilitating.  I was quite discouraged and truly wondered if I would be able to do the half-marathon on the 31st.  Would I literally crawl across the finish line?
The week before I had done 10 and it felt great.  I don't know what went wrong, but from mile 7 on I pretty much wanted to cry.  You can seen why I wasn't so excited for my run this morning.  Fortunately, my run felt fantastic this morning, so I am not in such terror for next Saturday.

Question for you.
Which do you prefer?  Once a week, 2 hour MASSIVE laundry folding party, or daily folding and putting away of smaller loads.  I tend to do the massive parties (don't you think party makes it sound more fun?).  Let me assure you, it is not fun.  Call it what you want-- there is nothing fun about it.  The pack n' play overflows with clothes, the children dive and fish for pants, shirts, socks and underwear. 
I must work out a better system of laundry folding.  I do keep up on the washing the clothes, so at least they aren't stinky.  That counts for something, right?  They're dumpster diving for clean clothes instead of dirty ones.   That will have to be good enough for now.

Allergy season is upon us.  Itchy eyes, itchy throat, itchy lips.  No fun for me.  But since I'm not pregnant and not nursing now is my chance to try some allergy relief medicine and see if that helps.  Do you have a favorite medicine for allergies?

That's it for this evening.  There was lots of good stuff (see the following post), and now you know the rest of the story.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

The absolute best allergy medicine for me is pseudoephedrine. The cheapest house brand works just as well as the brand name. It fixes sneezing, itching throat and eyes, watery eyes, runny nose, everything. It does not make me sleepy. It does make my mouth a little dry, but that is a fair trade-off. It also happens to be a mild appetite suppressant.
I wish you good relief.
Dad

Schramm Family said...

I do laundry Monday. I do mine, Keiths, and Haydens. On Tuesday I "help" Sariah do hers. On Wednesday Corrine has the laundry room available if she chooses to use it. On Friday Jakob has the laundry room available if he chooses to use it. The first week they had the agency to choose, they chose not to do laundry. A few days later, they learned all about consequences to choices. Since then, they have been pretty good to take advantage of their laundry day. :)

Anonymous said...

The best part of middlemarch is the last few chapters, so keep going! I go back and forth with my laundry, sometimes I will save it and fold it while watching a movie at night. Miss you guys!
Mary Ellen

Anonymous said...

...and 11 miles! That's amazing! The most I have ever run was 3 and I threw up afterwards! You are awesome!
Mary Ellen