Thursday, March 1, 2012

There is Time Enough

I'll start this post with this picture of Elinor because I love her and she looks just lovely.  I'll refer you back to this picture later in the post.  

My dad is retired and spends much of his time and energy in local and state politics--especially when the legislature is in session.  But, by his own admission, some days he has more leisure time than he knows what to do with.  I know it wasn't always like this for him.  He was a career Army officer for 20 years, a bishop in an LDS ward three different times, and father to four children.  He had his very busy days.  I do not begrudge him his retirement at all, and we occasionally reap the benefits of his flexible schedule.

But.

It's hard for me to even imagine what that might be like.  Time-- time to do whatever you feel like doing when you wake up.  Time that isn't allocated for the entire day before you even get out of bed.
I am simply observing-- I am not complaining.  I am busier than I have ever been, but happier as well.  If you'd have told me a few years back how busy and full my days would be with six children I would not have believed you.  I would much rather have too many good things to fit into a day than a lack of meaningful activity. 

As it is we go, go, go all day long--school work, meal prep, diapers, baths, hair, scriptures, callings,  dance, tae kwon do, piano, violin, swimming, gymnastics, reading, laundry, Shakespeare class, book club, exercise, and on and on and on.  Sometimes I don't like reading long lists like I just wrote because it makes me feel kind of dizzy.  It makes me worry that perhaps we won't have time for family life's simple, creative, spontaneous moments.

But then I take a look at the latest pictures on the camera.
No need to worry-- there is still plenty of time for creativity.
Clark prepared an "Iron Man" costume for Cannon out of a Frosted Mini Wheats box and a plastic container.
Why do we even have any regular toys?
Remember that lovely picture of my sweet Elinor at the first of this post?  Now would be a good time to picture it in your mind.
The girls were making themselves really cute Chinese hairstyles with paper umbrellas for accessories. 

They went terribly wrong.
Elinor turned herself into a fire princess and she painted her face to match.
Faith got into the action as well.  This wasn't face paint-- it was just the good old craft paint.
These were the same two who covered their bodies with scars and battle wounds in red acrylic paint while I was off running an errand. 
Here is a little more productive use of time.  Bethany made THE MOST DIVINE bread sticks a few days back.  Oh, YUM!  Oh, BAD for Operation: Get in Shape Girl.

Here's a funny little thing.  For the last two weeks Cannon has broken out in hives as soon as we get to church.  A bit of Benadryl takes care of it, but it begs the question--- is Cannon allergic to church?
Abe got these pillow cases for the girls for their birthdays.  He feels uncommonly strongly that pillows MUST have covers on them at all times.  These were his solution and I agree that they are really cute and the girls love them.  It's fun to get a present just from their daddy.
George is trying to say more and more and he is a source of constant entertainment to the children and their friends when they tell him, "George, don't pick your nose!"  This of course gets him to do that very thing. 
Hilarious. 
A parting image for the evening.
She is my daughter.

1 comment:

Katie Fox said...

it might be funny to say this but I see a lot of you in Elinor in that last picture :)