Friday, June 1, 2012

A Fireside Chat

Just so you know, I've been in a bad mood for most of the day.  Poor Abe was already greeted with my list of complaints upon his arrival home this evening, so I'll try to spare you that joy.  Let it be known that I am not winning any awards for motherhood today.  Now I just feel like chatting, so this is next in my ever popular series "Betsy's Fireside Chats". 

I'm watching Les Miserables on PBS right now.  I love this show, but why, oh why, oh why did they cast the Jonas brother as Marius??
He's horrible.  He is a big, huge, ugly blight on the whole production.  You know what an expert I am on my Broadway musicals (not really), but even I can tell he is not up to snuff.

Did you know Anne Hathaway cut her hair super-duper short for her role as Fantine in the upcoming movie of Les Miserables?
I want to cut my hair super short, but since I am selling it rather than donating it (how mercenary of me!), I have to wait to get an offer on this website I've listed it on.  Yes, it is a website very much like ebay.  It is the ebay of the hair-selling world.  Strange but true.

My hair is obnoxiously long and irritating to me right now.  It's way past attractive and well into weird.

I have a birthday coming up in July.  I will be 35.  I'm not ashamed to say that because it's not like I've done something wrong by getting older.  I don't really understand the shame of admitting one's age.  Anyway, I am going to throw myself a party-- a kickball party.  I want to invite all my besties to head to the park for a fiercely competitive game of kickball.  Sorry, no kiddos invited to this party.  I don't want to have to be nice to children.  Now please understand, I love children-- I have several of them-- but I want to show no mercy.  I want to pelt the ball at people and kick the crumb out of the ball and trash talk the other team.

So who wants in?

I've started reading Anna Karenina-- so far so good.  Have you read this book?  Thoughts?  Did you love it?  Do share.  For another book club I'll be reading Sprig Muslim by Georgette Heyer.  What about that one?  I must need some sort of escape from regular life because I have a serious itch for reading right now.  Don't mind me, children.  I'll be on the couch for the next hour.  Feel free to make yourself a sandwich.  Would someone please get George off the table?

It's been a while since I had one of those days where I seriously considered running away.  Not far away and not for very long-- perhaps just the afternoon and evening.  But I was drained of emotional energy today.  I think I'm stressed about my upcoming piano recital.  I wish I didn't get worked up-- I don't think I should-- but I do.  I feel very invested in these kids and I love working with them.  I really want them to do well.  The recital is Thursday night so I'll do a tell-all shortly thereafter. 

I went and signed my people up for the library's summer reading program.  We've never done it before.  Perhaps because I didn't know much about it but more likely because it just seemed like one more thing to keep track of.  From what I gathered when we went to the library today it will be a cake walk!  There's even an adults' reading program that can help me with those pesky fines I can't seem to avoid. 

Hey, look at me!  I did a pretty good job of avoiding the complaints this evening, and believe me, I could have made this a doozy of a complaining post.  I'll reward myself by going to bed.  Night-night.

No comments: