Monday, October 22, 2012

Bigger Fish to Fry

Things I am knowingly abusing but continue to do so because I've got bigger fish to fry:

1.  The Magic School Bus. 
 As part of Faith's science curriculum this year we got the complete collection of every Magic School Bus episode ever produced.  I think there are 52.  They are wonderful and hands-down the best science instructional shows for children ever.

I have no proof to back that up.  I just made it up.

But actually they are really great and Clark LOVED this show when he was little and it was actually on TV.  Now Faith, Cannon, and George watch them.

A lot.

I let them watch WAAAY too much.  Even if they are "educational".  George has thrown some doosey tantrums when denied his precious "school bus!"   There is no question, I am abusing our Magic School Bus DVDs.  But truth be told, I don't really have intentions of cutting back the screen time.  I've got bigger fish to fry.

2.  Quaker Chewy Granola Bars
They were on sale at the grocery store this week.  $1.39 for a box of 12.  Woo-hoo!  Let's stock up!

They were a good deal and if I only let the kids have them for a quick snack occasionally then that would be fine and they would last a long time.  But no.  The granola bars are being consumed at an alarming rate by children who would prefer them to the food I make.  They have figured out that I am only a stickler for meal times 15 minutes before and 15 minutes after meals.  If they ask for a snack in that window I will for sure say no.

But any other time I am so busy frying big fish that I forget that regular snacking makes for nightmare mealtimes with toddlers and preschoolers... and tweens and teens.

3.  Trips to Walmart
George likes to be in on any action.  And since trips to Walmart constitute big action on my part, he loves to go with me.  If the car heads in the direction of the local Walmart he cheers.  If I then turn the car in another direction he cries.  It took me a little while to figure out why he yelled, "Airplane!" when I was driving toward Walmart.  I realized he liked some toy airplanes he saw there and I finally put the two together.

I mean seriously.  Does anyone else find it tragic that rather than trips to the dinosaur museum and park and petting zoo, I take my cheering 2 year old to Walmart.

Big sigh... I don't think I'm doing so well.  That's it... we're going to the zoo tomorrow.

4.  Peanut Butter and Jelly and Bread and Honey
I serve peanut butter and jelly and bread and honey in different combinations many, many times a week.  I think I've finally got it down.

Cannon wants jelly only.
Faith wants peanut butter only.
Elinor wants peanut butter and honey.
Bethany wants just plain bread.
Clark wants to just cook up his own eggs.
I love a good PB and J.

We go through at least a loaf a day.  No, that's conservative.  A loaf a meal.  It's just too much.  We must expand our culinary horizons.  But I suppose since they're all full up on granola bars, it satisfies them.

I don't know, I guess sandwiches day after day still beats frying up fish.  I don't like fish.

5.  The Stash of Piano Candy
Earlier this week I was outraged to discover that little hands had been pilfering my collection of piano treat candy.  By little hands I mean every single person who lives in this house other than myself.  If my students do an acceptable amount of practicing they get to pick out a treat from the basket on the piano.  My supplies have been stashed in the coat closet, and much like the granola bars they were disappearing at an alarming rate.  I was ticked.

I took the bag and secured it in my bedroom closet.  Surely if I could control myself when the candy was downstairs I could control myself in the privacy of my own room.

I was wrong.  I've been naughty.  I've been abusing the piano candy.

No comments: