Sunday, March 24, 2013

A Tale of Three Sisters

This weekend the three girls and I took a trip to St. George for a dance competition for Bethany.  This was the first of such trips we've done with all girls and it was great fun.  I think the thing that stands out most in my mind is just how different these three sisters are.

BETHANY
Bethany did so well in her two dances--a ballet dance and a lyrical dance.  She was so responsible in taking care of all her costume pieces, shoes, make-up, and hair accessories.  I loved watching her.  I cannot say I loved watching all the other studios' dances and I cannot say that I love dance competitions in general.  I have quite mixed feelings about it, but I will say that I was very pleased with the level and styles of dance at Rocky Mountain Dance.
We had time in between dances to do a bit of shopping for Easter dresses and Bethany is an invaluable shopping partner.  I don't shop very well (I lack the funds and vision) but Bethany advises me and stays cheerful and never runs out of energy.

ELINOR
Elinor has a style all her own.  She likes pigtails and overalls and wearing bandanas.  She's doesn't have much use for the froo-froo of dance competitions.  We played a lot of the dot-game and she played Minecraft on the Kindle while we waited for Bethany to dance.
Her one desire in St. George was to climb some red rocks.  We found these just behind the outlet stores where we did much of our shopping.  The same stores Elinor had no interest in going to.  The same stores where she hid in the clothes racks because she didn't want to have to go try on a dress in the dressing room.   That's my Elinor!

FAITH
We drove down on Faith's birthday.  She is officially seven years old now, but every one of Faith's birthdays comes as an unpleasant surprise to me.  WHAT?  She really is getting older?  It doesn't feel like it.  She still seems so young to me.  She loves Jake and the Neverland Pirates.  It is a show on the Disney channel for young children.  It's really aimed at a younger age than she, but she discovered it when we had cable during the Olympics and she was still asking for the toys.  And since she doesn't really need anything, we just got her what she wanted.  And from the pictures you can see she was thrilled.
I say let them be little kids as long as they want.  You want three year old pirate toys?  You got it.  Except that Cannon and George are going crazy for her toys.
This game, "Who Shook Hook" was actually pretty fun and we ladies enjoyed playing it in our hotel room.
We had a great time together, not doing much besides going out to eat and shopping and watching dancing.  I love how different they are, but I love even more how much they love each other, except  when they don't.  Then I force them to say sorry and be nice or walk home!  That's just the kind of good mom I am!

No comments: