Sunday, November 10, 2013

You Might Like to Know... or Not

--You might like to know that today is November 10th.  That's means we're 1/3 of the way through November.
WHAT??? How did that happen so quickly?  Time is passing much more quickly than it used to.  But it's not just because I'm getting older.  Even my children acknowledge that time is passing quickly.  It's not just my imagination.

-- You might like to know that it has now been over two weeks that my man-child (Clark) and I have gotten ourselves up and out the door for swim practice and working out by 5 am.  I know, it's shocking to me.  But I'm enjoying it and it is not so bad as long as I'm in bed by 9:30 pm.  I've done several new classes that I haven't ever done before and I've even recruited a friend in the neighborhood to come with me!  She is a fellow homeschooling mother of six. 

-- Clark is also getting a taste of something he's not really dealt with before-- public high school kids at a school sponsored activity.  It's been an education for him:)

--You might like to know that I'm almost done watching season 4 of Downton Abby.  I don't know how this lady can legally do what she does, but  www.simplyjune.org

-- George has given up many of his afternoon naps.  Sigh.  He is three so I understand this is natural, however unpleasant it is for me.  And it is unpleasant.  Since he's begun sleeping less he has had a bit of a personality change.  Not in a good way.  His siblings are all rather annoyed with him for stealing their money.  I don't know where he's finding it and why they're not hiding it better.  But there it is.  Faith reported that he climbed the kitchen counter up to the fridge where's Abe's wallet was and swiped a $20 bill.  Heaven help us.

-- You might like to know that Cannon sang his sweet little heart out in the Primary program today.  To my knowledge Clark never actually sang a note throughout his 9 years in primary.  It brought tears to my eyes to see and hear Cannon singing.  Elinor and Faith were two of five kids who played prelude songs before the meeting began.  They all did great.

--Bethany and a fellow violinist are auditioning for Concerto Night with the Lyceum Orchestra.  It is my understanding that only one Concerto from her orchestra will be selected.  They are doing Bach Double together.  It is quite challenging and there is a lot of practicing going on at our house these days.

--My children have discovered Studio C on YouTube.  They are very funny, very clean comedy sketches that are entertaining them to no end.  There's one about a lone girl joining a D&D group that had us in stiches.  Perhaps it hit a little too close to home.

--Clark had a high school swim meet up in Logan this weekend.  He wasn't thrilled with his performance, but for a first time out, I think it was probably okay.  Abe and Cannon and Faith went up to support him.  Meanwhile, back at the ranch, I took Bethany, Elinor and George to the girls' swim meet Saturday morning.  Elinor improved all of her times and placed 2nd in two of her races.  Bethany got first in her freestyle, but something went terribly wrong in her breaststroke.  I don't mean to throw Bethany under the bus here, but I do believe there is an important lesson to be learned.  She qualified for the fastest heat.  There really was no possibility of her placing in the top three.  It would have been best for her to just concentrate on her race and try to improve her time.  But she didn't.  She got psyched out.  She started to worry about keeping up with everyone and worrying about where they were in the race.  She kept looking to the side and it destroyed any chance of a good time.  She ended up getting three seconds slower than she had before.
The moral of the story is it doesn't matter what anyone else is doing or how well or fast they're doing it.  You just worry about how well you're doing.  Are you doing your very best?  Maybe you won't ever finish at the top, but you can improve from where you are.
I'll get off the soapbox now.

That's all for this afternoon's very enjoyable, relaxing time spent blogging on the laptop.  The children are all downstairs, and while I do not know the state of affairs, and that makes me nervous, it has been worth it.

No comments: