Saturday, September 13, 2014

One Month and Counting

Peter was one month old on Thursday.  Unfortunately he was a wee-bit fussy that day, thus dampening our celebration.  Fortunately on Friday and today he's been just lovely.  That's how it goes-- someday are smooth sailing and others not so much. 
I suppose it is stating the obvious to say how much we love and are enjoying him.  He was born into a family with a LOT going on, but the great thing with a new baby is you are forced to slow down and take care of the baby.  The baby must be fed, the baby must be changed.  It draws independence out of those who are quite capable of taking care of themselves, but are accustomed to having things done for them.  It is an adjustment for everyone and some handle those adjustments more easily than others.  But it is good for everyone.
Peter is a pretty good sleeper at night and when he takes good naps during the day he is quite calm when awake.  It's been a little while since we had a baby and while some parts are like riding a bike-- you don't forget-- other parts I could use a refresher course on.  Like when they are hungry verses tired.  I think we might be settling a little bit into a routine.  *knock on wood*
Peter's favorite sleeping position.
It was no easy thing to get Peter here.  I had two miscarriages and then a difficult (for me) pregnancy.  But I would easily do it all over again to have him in our family.  I has been a challenging month with a new baby and starting school and fall activities.  I keep reminding myself that it is okay to be stretched and uncomfortable at times.  I'm pretty sure I've felt overwhelmed after every single one of my babies, but overtime we've all grown and developed skills to handle our load.  Heavenly Father wants these children to come to earth to get bodies and progress.  This is his plan.  He provides us with what we need to care for them.   A good friend recently shared this quote by C.S. Lewis,
  "Children are not a distraction from more important work. They are the most important work."

I could not agree more
And here's one more that reminds me what a blessing it is to be a mother.  Neil A. Anderson said,
"Motherhood is not a hobby, it is a calling.  It is not something to do if you can squeeze the time in.  It is what God gave you time for."

No comments: