Friday, May 15, 2015

Spring Homeschool Reboot

After a very busy first few months of this year, we have spent the month of May rededicating ourselves to our homeschool studies.  We had gotten side tracked too frequently, and in the hopes that we might enjoy some semblance of a summer break, we have really been working hard to finish up by the end of the month.  In addition, my wheels are turning as I formulate the plan for next year's home school.
A girl's night out with a few local homeschooling moms, both newbies and veterans, was very helpful for swapping ideas and inspiration for next year.  The best idea I took away from the evening was earplugs.  How had I not thought of that before?  Earplugs for kids to wear while they work so they are less distracted by surrounding noise and less tempted to add to the noise themselves. 

But here is something I have been putting together in my mind for several months.  And then a few nights ago I was rather fed up with life, so I ran away from home and didn't come back until I'd found all the parts I needed to put it together.

Behold... The School Board.
Each child as a color of magnets (we call them buttons) with all their subjects painted on.  They move the ones they need to complete each day to the center and when they are done, they move them to the far right column. 
So simple.  So effective.  I don't know why I didn't figure this out sooner.  The bottom row is for a bonus if someone does something particularly kind, thoughtful or unexpectedly helpful. 
  At the top there is a space for writing "The Plan of the Day".  This satisfies those in the family who religiously ask the plan of the day each and every day.  The kids are having fun writing strange names for themselves on the left.
I am quite pleased with how it turned out and it has been the shot in the arm we needed to plow through to the end of the school year.  Who knew moving little magnets around on a white board could be so inspirational?
  As the plan of the day suggested, we did go to the Payson Temple open house and my goodness!  It was breathtakingly beautiful.  It was wonderful to get to be all together in a temple.  I told the children that a dream/goal of mine is to have Abe and all of the children go to the temple together when Peter goes through the temple for the first time before his mission.  Wherever in the world they live, they must drive or fly home for the weekend, so we can be together. That's what I'm working towards-- that is my vision of what I want for my family.  Going to this open house was like a little preview, or taste, of hoped-for, wonderful blessings to come.
These are excited children.  They are so excited bouncing up and down that the camera can't even capture a clear shot.  And why are they so excited?
Because their father spoils them by letting them buy ice cream from the creepy ice cream truck driving around the neighborhood.  I tried to protest.  My practicality forbids spending on one ice cream treat what you can get a whole box for at the Wal-Mart.  But Abe is too nice.  He insisted that the children must have the experience once in their lives of buying ice cream from a creepy ice cream man. 
I really think they could have been just fine in life without that experience, but now they have one more reason to think Abe is more fun than me.  And they are right.  And I am grateful they have such a nice daddy 

1 comment:

Schramm Family said...

I might use that magnet board idea...