Friday, November 20, 2015

Where We Are

It is November 20th and I haven't posted AT ALL in November.
We've been busy, but no busier than normal.  I'm not sure why I've fallen out of the habit of doing something I enjoy so much.  No use trying to catch up what I've missed.  I'll just start where I am.
Here are mini updates of everybody.  I do need to work on a Christmas letter soon, so maybe this will help give me some direction.

Peter is a lot of fun these days.  That's not really something I've said very much over the past 15 months.  His digestive system and sleeping schedule seem to have mellowed and he's pretty happy.  He is walking all around-- before 15 months!  That's pretty early for our family.  When he hears a song on the radio he likes he points his index finger in the air and "dances".  I find it particularly charming because my mom used to do a funny finger dance that we kids used to love.

George is my errand running companion.  I don't leave the house without him.  He likes doing his school books and practicing the piano.  He is ever the hoarder and collector of objects the rest of the world doesn't value.  He checks the mail at least four times a day before noon and retrieves any credit card offer/junk mail I throw away.

Cannon is quite the song and dance man.  He is taking a tap dance and a hip hop class, and I admit I am DYING to see him at his Christmas recital.  Always cheerful, always ready with a joke.  I find him absolutely charming.  He loves learning and figuring things out.  He never seems happier than when deep in concentration.  He is really doing well with piano and surprising me with how quickly he passes songs off.

Faith is still taking tumbling classes twice a week.  She worked really hard practicing at home to get stronger and got herself moved up into a higher class.   She working on her front aerial and standing back tuck.  Her latest accomplishment is a round-off, three back-handspring, back tuck.   She is also working hard on piano.  Everyone is in "get ready for recital" mode.  The recital is Tuesday, December 15th and if I have my druthers, all of my little dearies will play something! 

Elinor is the tallest 12 year old I know!  She is seriously almost as tall as me and I'm 5'9"!  She has a piano teacher other than me and is thriving.  It makes me so happy to see her progress.  She is also doing swim team again at Marv Jenson Rec. Center.  She doesn't get to practice quite as often as I would like, but such is the schedule of a busy family.  Both Elinor and Bethany are very helpful with the younger kids and I am beyond grateful.  Elinor has had a bit of a rough adjustment to algebra this year, but I think she's on the right track now.  Elinor and Bethany are really enjoying our Mother/Daughter Jane Austen book club.  After finishing Pride and Prejudice they were tickled to watch the 5 hour A&E version.  Now they can truly appreciate it!

Bethany is in the middle of a violin lesson even as I write.  She is LOVING being a part of the Lyceum Philharmonic.  Of course I would like her to practice more-- like 3 hours a day.  She seems content with 1 1/2  hours right now.  She is enjoying her Ancient History course this year.  The three oldest kids have a schedule of reading and then turn in projects for each book.  They have a lot of leeway in what kind of project they turn in-- write an essay, write a play, artwork, write a song, oral report.  Whatever they books inspired in them.  Bethany has turned in some really clever, artistic projects.  Having already completed her personal progress, she is working on getting an Honor Bee.

Clark is working about 15 hours a week at Papa Murphy's Pizza.  He likes it and I like him having that responsibility that I'm not a part of.  He's a junior this year, so he's working hard on school work and ACT prep.  He's about 6'3" with a deep voice-- rather imposing.  He's already known for planning thoughtful, fun dates.  He's one I would like to play a piece in my Christmas recital, but I'm not sure that will happen.  He is preparing something, but perhaps isn't so keen on public performance.  I've told him, "Clark, you only have to do this two more times and then you are done forever! I won't ask you to play after you mission".  It's is so strange to think this is is second to last Christmas at home before he'll be mission bound.

I will be better about blogging more regularly.  Sometimes I just have to start writing.  That's what this post was.  Hopefully, I'll have more pictures and more interesting stories next time.

1 comment:

Amy F. said...

Well I'm still impressed if you only post once a month!!