Sunday, May 8, 2016

Keeping Us Guessing and Lots of Blessings

Well, I'll tell you what.
This little Peter certainly keeps us guessing.  A couple of months ago we got started on the path of early intervention speech therapy.  At 20 months he wasn't speaking anything understandable.  At all.  No "mama", no "dada", no "ball", no "truck".
Lots of babbling.  Lots of screaming.  Lots of frustrated crying.  So after an evaluation he tested normal or above average for everything except for expressive speech.  Meaning he understands much of what we're saying, but he can't say anything back.
As part of the initial testing, they did a hearing screening.  Surprisingly, he failed in one ear.  Since his receptive language tested so well, they figured he had some fluid behind his ear drum from recent congestion.  Come back in six weeks.
This past week we went back to have him retested and come to find out, the other ear failed.  They suggested I take him to the pediatrician to check for chronic ear infections.  I think I would have recognized numerous ear infections, but okay.
I took him that very day and he did not have ear infections.  However, the Dr. did her little test on his ear drums and found they were both flat (very little movement) suggesting fluid or at least pressure causing too much tension.  She said it was likely eustachian tube dysfunction.  Perhaps he is hearing everything muddled, like he's underwater.
So.   This week I'll be taking him to an ear, nose, and throat Dr. to see what the heck is going on.  I'm sad that this doesn't appear (to me) to be an easy fix.  I'm happy that we may get some answers as to what ails this poor little fellow.  
Wednesday afternoons Abe drives Bethany and a couple other kids down to orchestra in American Fork for rehearsals.  Occasionally, Team Little Kids tag along and he takes them to a really fun park down that way and spoils them with treats.  Of course, they love it, and I admit to enjoying a quiet afternoon for teaching piano lessons.  
Here's a blessing of the week.
Also on Wednesday, Abe was out killing himself trying to start our lawn mower.  He ripped a huge blister on his hand and was about as frustrated as Abe gets.  He came inside to patch himself up when there was a knock at the door.  A kind neighbor had seen Abe and they had an extra lawn mower they insisted on giving him.  The one on the right is the new functioning mower.  
As I shared this story with a friend, she pointed out we seem to have a lot of these kind of blessings.  And I think she's right.  People give us bags of out-grown clothing for both the girls and the boys.  The anonymous person who paid our family's restaurant bill when we went out for Abe's birthday lunch.  The functioning lawn-mower.  The long-time friend of my brother who has done several major car repairs for us at beyond reasonable prices- thus avoiding the expenses of new cars.  
We feel very, very blessed and very grateful for all these tender mercies and I'm grateful to the friend who reminded me of what I may not have noticed.  
Last night was a Mother's Day treat for me!  Bethany's orchestra performed at Thanksgiving Point (indoors due to the weather)  with Jenny Oaks Baker and her children, and Lexi Walker.  It was magnificent!  Really good.  Soul stirringly good.  They played "The Grand Canyon Suite", "La Moldau", "1812 Overture" and many more.  I loved every moment of it.  By the end I was a little tired from sitting.  I can't imagine how tired those musicians must have been after 2 1/2 hours of playing such difficult music.   Plus they had rehearsed for two hours immediately prior to the concert. (Bethany is to the left of the director at the front of the 2nd row of violinists from the left)
Bethany has been having a bit of back/shoulder trouble and I knew she must have been hurting, but she did so well.  Even so, she was ready to go home and go to bed.
This isn't even close to the best picture of it, but we've been having some wet and wild weather the last few days.  SO MUCH RAIN!  And hail!  Saturday afternoon our neighborhood park flooded.  Apparently, kids were out kayaking in the lake.  

Today in Sacrament Meeting Abe spoke for Mother's Day.  I think he did a very nice job and it has indeed been a lovely Mother's Day.  Abe made me an omelet for lunch (my favorite) and I took a lengthy happy nappy on the couch.  Now I am having an undisturbed moment to blog.  My children have hugged me and told me they love me.  Abe loves and appreciates me.  That is just about as good as a mother's day can get as far as I'm concerned. 

No comments: