Sunday, June 25, 2017

Twenty Years of Wedded Bliss

Yesterday, June 24th, was Abe and mine's 20th wedding anniversary!  Say WHAT?
TWENTY YEARS!  That means I've been married longer than I was single.  Yes, it's true.  I was a teen bride... by two weeks anyway.
We went on my dream date for the evening-- the Utah Symphony playing the music of La La Land live while the movie played on a huge screen.  You must know I ADORE this movie and have decided I can't be friends with anyone who doesn't like it.
Kidding.  We can be friends... we just can't go see movies together.
A couple of months back I saw an add in the paper for this event and was very interested.  But then I saw that it was ON our actual anniversary-- June 24th!  And I knew it was kismet.  We were meant to celebrate our anniversary this way!
It was an outdoor amphitheater and the weather couldn't have been lovelier.  My date couldn't have been handsomer or more enjoyable.
We dined like royalty at Ruth's Chris Steakhouse, which we had never been to before.  And we wouldn't have gone for such splendor, in spite of the special occasion, except that Abe got some gift cards from work shortly after Greta was born.  Back then I couldn't leave Greta for that long, so we just saved them for our anniversary.
We don't frequent fancy restaurants very often because, 1. We have 8 children to feed and clothe 2. We have pretty boring food tastes so fine dining is sometimes lost on us and 3. Our fancy restaurant manners leave something to be desired.
Nevertheless, the meal was perfection.  We ended up getting three desserts, which were our favorite parts.  While three desserts may sound extravagant, as you can see in the picture, fancy restaurants take portion control very seriously.
And as a side note, Abe ordered a side of steamed broccoli that, no joke, was the best broccoli I've ever eaten.  And for $9 it should have been the best broccoli in the world.  I mean, it wasn't better than the desserts, let's not tell fibs, but it was really good.
Was it a good omen that one of our seats was 24 on the 24th of June?
Yes, I think it was.
What can I say about Abe, about our marriage on this, our 20th anniversary?
I love him more than I did when we got married.  We were young and pretty clueless about a lot of things.  We've learned a lot and are still learning.  I am grateful for the life that we have built together. It took about 20 years of working together to get all of our children here.  It will now take about 20 years for them to all grow up and leave the nest.  I can't say I am very anxious for that to happen, but I am so grateful to have an eternal partner who shares the load, makes me smile everyday, and loves me just as I am.  He loves the Lord, he loves me and our children and he gives his all to bless our lives.  That is as good as it gets.  Thank you, Abraham.  I love you.

No comments: