Wednesday, September 6, 2017

Labor Day at Red Ledges

Monday morning we adventured and like any adventure we attempt, it began at Walmart...
With a family selfie---that I was running to be a part of.  Have we no shame?
Not a whole lot, but even less than normal because we weren't at our local Walmart where we might be seen by those we know.  Which I clearly don't care that much about because I'm posting the picture of it on a public blog.
Not too shabby.  Clark was in the store with us and I can't imagine why he didn't wait around to be a part of this beautiful moment.   Doesn't George have a nice hairline?
Sadly, or happily, this was not to be the last Fox family selfie of the day.  We can't help ourselves.
Red Ledges has been Clark's preferred reptile hunting destination since he was about nine years old.  It's located a little ways up Spanish Fork Canyon and then up Diamond Fork.  It's the best place in Northern Utah to look for reptiles.  Abe wanted us all to go together one time before Clark flies the coop.
As soon as we arrived the boys were scurrying all over looking for lizards.  It was "Prime Time" for lizard hunting.
The ladies weren't quite as keen on lizard hunting as the boys were.  We came close to a female mutiny when it appeared the plan was to just following Clark around for two hours. "Rights for Women!"
We all calmed down, took a cute picture and moved on.
A family effort surrounding a little lizard on the ground.
George got one!
This may be my all-time favorite picture of Elinor!  What a beauty and she's not even trying at all!
 We scaled a sheer 30 ft. cliff wall to get to this ancient Sun carved into a rock by early Spanish explorers.
We took a family picture in front of it, but there are so many of us that you can't even see the sun.  No matter.  We impress ourselves anyway.
You want to see what's not impressive?
This.  Me attempting to get down from this sheer 30 ft. cliff I was telling you about.  You're just going to have to trust me when I say it was much steeper and taller in person than it looks in this picture.
It's a miracle we all lived to tell the tale.
 The only naturally occurring red rock arch in Northern Utah.  Or so I've been told.
Clark and his adoring fan club.
Off-roading.
I am very appreciative of Abe and his efforts to get our clan out into nature every now and then.  Truth be told, I have some anxiety issues when it comes to the great outdoors.  I just see danger.  Logically, I know it is super healthy and great for the souls of children (and adults) to be out in nature.  I know it is critical for development to learn to exercise judgement in managing "dangerous" situations.  I recognize that the physical reactions I have in my body and mind are not normal or healthy.  But I get so, so uptight--so many factors outside of my control.  I try to enjoy myself, but it is hard.  If anyone can recommend a book that can address my issues I would be grateful.
 Can you see them?
Zoomed in a bit.
Faith, age 11 1/2.
We enjoyed our lunch at a picnic table in the park.
George's first solo catch!

No comments: