Thursday, October 5, 2017

October 5, 2017

Faith heading to the finish at a recent cross-country meet.  She's pretty awesome.  When I was a kid we had to run "The Mile" at school once a year.  It was pretty much the worst day of the whole year.  I don't think I ever did faster than a nine minute mile. 
Now, granted, I have in my adult life voluntarily run 2 half marathons and a full marathon.  And I did finish before they stopped timing, but not by much.  So I think I've made up for my youthful laziness, but even still, as a kid, I NEVER would have voluntarily run for fun.  Like I said, she is pretty awesome.  
The cross-country season is quite short-- just barely over a month.
With our good friend and neighbor, Ben.  His older sister is one of the coaches, so Faith has been able to ride to and from practices with them.  It has been heavenly! 
Greta was loving being pulled around by Faith on the tricycle.  These trikes have been with us since Clark and Bethany were little.  They were gifts from Grandma Fox and talk about being well-loved!  All of the kids have used them and they are still completely functional.  They have many years of play left in them.
Peter and his best friend Eric.  I can't wait until they are teenagers to show them this picture!  Oh my!  How cute are they?!
George is flying high!  A happy moment after a not so pleasant even earlier in the day.  He had to get a silver cap on a baby tooth with a big cavity.  Oops.  But in all fairness, for years we went to a very friendly, nice dentist who lied to me and told me all our teeth were perfect and I was such a great mom, blah, blah, blah! 
WELL!  Because of insurance we switched to another dentist, and I swear, each of us are now a giant walking cavity!! BOOOOO!  Is it true?  Do we really now have all these cavities, or does our dentist need more money?  Whatever!  I'm sure the old dentist didn't lie.  Maybe he just wasn't very good?  And I believe that we do now have cavities.   But it is somewhat suspicious.
Greta is such a squishy, chubby little thing!  How delicious!  She went to the Dr. for a check-up this week and got some shots.  Sadness.  But she is in perfect health and getting a little feistier every day!
George and I built a 3-D viewer in our Tinkercrate this week.  It's a STEM box subscription we get each month as part of our science curriculum. 
Complete cool science project--- CHECK!
 Elinor did something exciting and brave this week.  She tried out for the local high school swim team.  Monday thru Thursday of this week she warmed up and then was timed on four different events-- 50 free, 200 free, 100 IM, and 500 free.  She exceeded her own expectations on her times and we will find out tomorrow if she makes the team.  I would be very surprised if she didn't, but we'll know for sure tomorrow.  Fingers crossed!
Team Middle Kids and I went to see The Heart of Robin Hood at Hale Center Theater this week.  There was lots of sword fighting and rock music and it was great fun.  The kids loved it.  I quite enjoyed it, but probably don't need to see it again.
She adores him. 
I think she will be the hardest thing for Clark to leave when he goes on his mission to Texas.
She's pretty attached to me, but she will happily leave my arms for his.
A cast picture.
These three put on a hysterical play a couple days back.  It was called Ink and Squirt.  I believe the inspiration was Frog and Toad.  George was "Ink" the octopus and Peter was "Squirt" the lizard.  Cannon was the narrator who interacted with the audience, which consisted of Elinor, Faith, Greta, and I.  
We were completely in stitches.  
The play consisted of four episodes.  Each one began with Squirt sunning on his rock (the gray chair) and Ink swimming in the ocean (the blue blanket).  Cannon would twist the window blinds open and "the sun would come up."  Squirt always had a dilemma and Cannon would give the audience three possible items to solve the problem.  The audience would cheer or boo for which item we thought would be best.  
It was one of those completely delightful family moments that I want to remember forever.  They are so funny and clever!
In this scene, Squirt (the lizard, AKA Peter) had already obtained an oxygen tank in a previous episode, so he could breath underwater, but he couldn't swim.  So one of the options for the audience to cheer or boo for, was flippers.  A rubber ducky and a light bulb were always the two other possible options.  
Greta was completely delighted to be a part of the audience and was laughing and clapping along with the big kids.
Bethany and Faith had fun with the Cricket and made paper dolls of the whole family.  Top row from left:  Greta, Betsy, Abe.
Bottom row from left:  Clark, Bethany, Elinor, Faith, Cannon, George, and Peter (wearing green, always wearing green).
During one of Cannon's downtown Nutcracker rehearsals this week I took the Littles with me to go visit Andrea, who lives downtown.  She had this fun bean bag toss game wear you could knock the pumpkins teeth out. 
PERFECT for Peter, who, bless his heart, is obsessed with saying he will kick things in the face.  
Lovely, I know.
We should discourage such language.  But frankly, we are amused by it.  Shame on us.
He and I recently went on a walk around the neighborhood where we saw some spooky Halloween decorations on a house.  I commented that they were spooky.  While raising a finger each time, he repeated five times, "I kick them in the face!".  Then he said, "Not (s) pooky anymore!"  Then he laughed a maniacal laugh.  And I laughed.
And that, my friends, is how you create a psychopath.

1 comment: