Tuesday, December 26, 2017

Cocoa and Doughnuts Mission Farewell Open House

On December 16th we did a mission farewell open house, combined with our annual neighborhood Cocoa and Doughnuts, for Clark-- he leaves for the Texas Dallas mission, Spanish speaking THIS Thursday. 
In very good news... We love each other.  A lot.
In not such good news, it makes it hard to have an impending separation, albeit only for two years.  But, I'm sort of a hot mess right now.  I had hoped I would handle all this a little more gracefully, but alas, I am not.  Starting on Sunday, I have cried no less than 12 times each day.  And the thing is, I'm SUPER happy he is going.  I'm proud of him and I'm confident he will handle the challenges he'll face.  He will learn and grow and progress and he'll be a blessing to others.  I don't want him to stay here.  I'm excited for the experiences he will have.  But darn it, I really like him.  And I will miss him.  And I will miss our family as it has been with him here.  I will miss watching his interactions with younger siblings who worship the ground he walks on.  I have faith that many good things await him and us while he is gone, but I've sure enjoyed things as they are.  So I'm giving myself the same advice I've given him:  Go ahead and feel all the emotions you have.  Don't fight them, don't resist them.  Let them come and serve their purpose and then they can pass on.  
I love him and I'll miss him and that makes me sad.  I'm going have myself a few days of ugly crying and then I'll adjust to our new normal.  I'll focus on the gratitude I feel for the wonderful relationships and memories we've had.  And I will enjoy being a missionary mom.  
I'm glad that the farewell festivities were a couple weeks back-- before my emotions were so highly charged-- because then I was feeling such happiness and excitement and I thoroughly enjoyed the gathering and the farewell talk the next day. 
We took pictures with the other kids so we can compare how they've grown while he's gone.  
 I wonder if Cannon will pass up Faith by then?
I don't expect much growth from any of these three-- pretty sure they have reached their full height already.  
We couldn't be happier for him or more grateful for who he has become and his example in our family.  
Clark felt so grateful to have so many friends and family come to wish him good luck. 
Clark and his cousin Alexis.  She was the first and only girl (for quite some time) he could tolerate!
Fox family visiting circle!
Keith, Clark's robotics team coach and great friend, Jakob.  
The Johansens were the first to arrive.  They have recently moved from our neighborhood -- just to a different city nearby-- but still, we miss seeing them as regularly.
Some Foxy cousins
Cutie cousins
Greta takes her bedtime seriously.  The whole evening was a little too much for her.
I LOVED  having the "party" the night before, rather than on Sunday after Sacrament meeting.  We really enjoyed the visiting on Saturday and it left us free to just soak in the goodness on Sunday without needing to worry about hustling home to host a gathering.  

No comments: