Thursday, December 23, 2010

Despite Our Best Efforts

We're trying to create magical Christmas memories, but despite our best efforts. . .

We traditionally go to a Christmas lights display (see more) about an hour from our home.  It is very fun and you can drive around as many times as you want.  The kids all take a turn driving.  Last night we began our drive down to Spanish Fork, but there was heavy rain and traffic and so we opted to go to a light display much closer to home.
Blah!  You could only drive around one time, so the kids had to take quick turns.  The whole display was basically weaving around a parking lot.  Boo!  Hiss!  
Don't you think Abe would make a fine Santa Claus with his rosy cheeks?  Maybe he can get a second job for the holidays?
Today we finally made our gingerbread house.  Could they possibly make it any easier to build a gingerbread house?  No, I don't think they could.  All the materials are there, including ready to use icing.  They even give you step by step directions. 

I should have read them. 

We started decorating too soon, and our house became structurally unsound.  I guess it didn't really matter because the candy and much of the house was consumed within three hours anyway. 
We played a bit of Rock Band this afternoon.  Very fun, but although we own SIX drum sticks, we couldn't find them, so we used blocks. 
Side note:  We did find a set, so we'll be set for the holidays.
He is scrumptious!  Happy, happy, happy.  He doesn't sleep during the day, but that's okay.  I don't have much I have to get done these days-- I only have Christmas for six children to pull off.  No biggie.
I do think that all the work of "doing Christmas" is worth it.  But I'm wondering if so much stress is just part of the deal of mothering and Christmas.  Is there another way?  I have had some very tender, sweet, spiritual moments this season, but more anxiety than I care to admit. 

Watching It's a Wonderful Life and  Muppet Christmas Carol certainly helped my mood today.  I like to play carols on the piano whenever I get a chance, and putter around the kitchen cooking goodies and comfort food.
What have you, my friends, done to manage the workload of Christmas without becoming the Grinch? 

No comments: