Thursday, December 30, 2010

Roller Skating Thoughts

1.  The best way to learn how to skate is NOT to hold onto someone's hand.  It may be the safest way, but it is not a good way to actually learn how to skate.
But it is fun to hold hands with your mom or dad. 
2.  People feel very uninhibited at the roller skating rink.  Is it the flashing lights?  The loud music?  The wind blowing through your hair as you fly around the rink?  I don't know, but there is no shame at the skating rink.  And no sense of fashion either.  I like it.
3.  Several years back Clark was attempting to learn to roller blade and he fell backwards and hit his head.  Fortunately he was wearing a helmet. 
The last time our family went skating a grown man fell backwards and knocked himself unconscious.  I think it made Clark a little nervous.  He's never been a big fan of roller blading anyway, so he rode his scooter around a lot and pushed Cannon on his trike. 
But I watched some of the other children--little children--skating/scootering around and falling all over the place.  I swear they were made of rubber.  Major falls--loud crashing bangs-- and then they hop right back up and carry on.  When my children fall--which they rarely do, because they are abnormally cautious-- but when they do fall, they actually get hurt. 
On a side note, I don't know why they are so cautious.  Have I done something wrong?  Don't answer that.
4.  Perhaps if I pushed George around a roller rink everyday for two hours, he would actually take naps.  
5.  Sometimes I thought the centripetal force would fling him out of his car seat.
It didn't.  Maybe I just felt like I was skating really fast.  I guess I don't move that fast very often.
6.  I am so grateful that I am not a teenager during the style of "skinny jeans".   My reasons should be obvious from this picture.  I will just say, "short legs".  I could say much more, but I'll leave it at that.
7.  Daddy spoiled his little ladies today by buying them $.75 birthstone rings at the roller rink. 
Once when I was 10 years old I took $9.00 to the skating rink and someone STOLE it.  Can you believe that?  I was devastated.  $9.00 is a ton of money to a 10 year-old.  I've never gotten over that loss.
8.  This girl was zooming, but she couldn't quite keep up with me!  It was the music.  They play great music at skating rinks.  EXCEPT:  They played a truly demented, disturbing, twisted, disco-fied, "Do, Re, Mi" from The Sound of Music by Julie Andrews.  Very wrong.  I had to get off the rink.  I couldn't support the song by skating to it. 
I know disco-fied is not a real word, but I think you know what I mean.

No comments: