Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Ten Thoughts

Ten thoughts for the evening:

1.  Eleven year-old boys don't generally like to sing out loud and strong in Primary, but I'm pretty sure if we sang "Queen" songs, that would change.  This hypothesis comes from listening to my man-child and his friend singing "We Will Rock You" and "We Are the Champions" on Rock Band repeatedly this afternoon. 

2.  The movie, Australia, with Nicole Kidman and Hugh Jackman is a bit of an odd movie.  I don't really like it.  We've watched it in bits and pieces over the last week.  I do like Hugh Jackman, however, and I guess that's the important part.

3.  I'm in charge of he neighborhood book club this month.  I picked Three Cups of Tea, which I haven't read yet, so I don't even know if I'll like it, much less if anyone else will like it.  Last year I picked Little Men, which I wanted to read, but I'm don't think anyone else really liked it.  Rather selfish on my part. This year I tried to go with a more "New York Times Bestseller" approach.  Hopefully it was a good pick.  I guess it would make for interesting conversation if some people don't like it.  You know how controversially I like to be:-)

4.  It must be getting close to spring, because I made a beef stew for dinner tonight and although it was a good beef stew, it was very unsatisfying.  I've decided that after a long winter-- I AM TIRED OF SOUPS AND STEWS.  It's time for something lighter and fresher. 

5.  Bethany is learning a song on her violin that she will play with a group of other violinists at a recital.  The song is called Moto Perpetuo.  I hate this song.  I hate it more than any song Bethany has ever played before.  It makes my brain feel like it is on fire.  Like someone is sticking needles in my ears.  I hate it.  I listen as long as I can and then I ask her to please move onto another song before my brain explodes and oozes out of my ears.  Sometimes when she is learning a new song I'll sit with her and make sure she is learning it correctly.  NOT THIS SONG.  I get as far away from her as possible.
Yesterday her teacher told me that she is having a hard time learning this song and I needed to help her and make sure she is playing correctly.  Blahh. 
So what she's saying is, I shouldn't scream, "STOP PLAYING THAT SONG!"  I should actually help her??  I should encourage her to practice the dreaded song rather than threatening her if she plays it one more time. 
Well, I just don't know if I can do that.  I'll have to think about it.  That is asking a lot.

6.  Do you think they will ever make a movie of the book Austenland?  I just re-read it.  I'm not saying it is that good of a book, but I like it.  It is a guilty pleasure, and I will not apologize for it.

7.  I want to go to the zoo soon.  With a family our size, getting a zoo membership is the economical way to go.  When Clark was little we went to the zoo a lot.  Cannon and Faith have hardly gone at all.  I will get some good exercise this year hoofing it up and down those hills at Hogle Zoo.  I've got to get my money's worth!

8.  The kids and I are planning Faith's 5 year-old birthday party.  It is very helpful to have a built-in party planning committee.  Upon request Clark quickly turned a cardboard box into a treasure chest and the girls came up with some mermaid games.  Ah, the perks of having older kids!

9.  Our vacuum fell down the basement stairs last week.  It survived.   It is a very sturdy vacuum we've had since the beginning of our marriage.  The brand is Simplicity.  It's lasted a long time and I think it has many more years left in it.  It probably helps that we don't use it too often.
I shouldn't have said that.

10.  My room is a mess.  How come I won't clean it up?  I've had a goal of cleaning up my room for 3 months, and yet I don't.  Why?  Am I afraid to clean up my room?  Maybe.  Does this stem from my childhood?  Some traumatic experience in my youth of cleaning my room?  I don't think so.  Am I too lazy to clean my room?  Maybe.  Would I rather do other things?  Obviously.  Blogging is so much more fun than cleaning my room!!

7 comments:

Mothership said...

Three Cups of Tea: Many people are calling it a "life-changing" book. Not for me. Interesting story, potentially inspiring, felt a lot like a plea for donations. I'll be interested to see what you think. It is stressful to be the book chooser. You feel a heavy responsibility if it turns out to be a bomb. Oh, well.

I just completed my menu and massive shopping trip. We are having salads, sandwiches, tacos, and other lighter fare. I didn't even think about it until you made that comment, but I think I was subconsciously sick of winter food, too!

I always try to clean my room first. That way, I have at least one place in the house where I can go to find peace and quiet. The children can't go in there (unless I'm with them) without express permission and I find them using it the same way I do. Since no one has their own rooms, they use mine for that serenity that often goes lacking in a large family. YOU CAN DO IT!!

Can't wait to see you . . .

Katie Fox said...

I would LOVE it if they made a movie of Austinland, one of my favorite books as well.

Katie Fox said...

Oh and we should go to the zoo together this summer. I would love to spend the day with you at the zoo with our kids.

Marj said...

I think that they did make a movie or rather a mini series of the book. I liked it pretty well. It is called Lost in Austen Check it out.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1117666/
I watched it on Netflix

Inspiration Station said...

OH, I was going to say the same thing as Katie and say, let's go to the zoo together. We have a membership but have only gone once since. Yeah for nicer weather!
And I just love your blog Betsy! You always make me smile or laugh when I read it. You're such a fun mom and have a great outlook on life.

Ali said...

Bets - you would definitely like Lost in Austen ... that county library has it. But it isn't Austenland ... would LOVE it if they made it into a film! Would be a fabulous comedy!

Gabrielle Kim said...

I feel the same way about Australia. I also feel the same way about cleaning my room, it is always the LAST room to get cleaned in our house. You know you're done cleaning when the vacuum falls down the stairs!