Sunday, March 1, 2015

We Could Go Bowling...

A family of our size doesn't go out in public together very often.  It's not because we're embarrassed by one another or by our sheer numbers.  Actually, that might not be true.  Some members might be embarrassed by other members.  But the main reason is with lots of different schedules, it just doesn't work out that we all go to a store or recital or game together.
But last Monday night we made one of our rare public appearances all together.  At Costco.  We sensed we were making quite a scene, so we decided to confirm our senses and officially make a scene.  FAMILY SELFIE IN COSTCO!!
For the record, Clark looks horrified by us, but even he had to find the humor of the moment and voluntarily joined the picture.
We picked up a few things at Costco and then headed our for Elinor's birthday activity.  This year was a family celebration, rather than with friends.  We brainstormed a list of possible activities and Elinor narrowed it down to bowling.
Bowling it is.  Jim Gaffigan is a comedian who does a funny bit about bowling.

We quoted him all evening long. 
Lucky for us, our city has a new bowling alley with all new bowling shoes.  Bowling is not the most glamorous activity and the shoes are far less than fashionable.. However, since our bowling shoes were almost brand new and all matching, I thought we were looking pretty good, or at least worthy of a picture.
 Here's the birthday girl.  When the evening was all said and done, she decided she doesn't actually like bowling that much.  I'm not sure why she chose bowling, and I don't think she'll chose it again anytime soon.  Which is really too bad, because I confess, I quite like bowling.
Clark was a good sport helping George out.  Although, Georgie was doing quite well on his own (using the bumpers) and even got a strike!
Faith held her own quite respectably (using bumpers).
But do you know who it didn't go so well for?  I'm not sure where the disconnect was, but Bethany was really not good at bowling.  And that's okay.  I think someone can have a very happy life and never be good at bowling.
That being said, I dare say I am the best bowler in the family.  Abe and I were fairly comparable, but I did pull ahead of him. 
Since our kids didn't love bowling that much, I think he and I need to go on a bowling date alone  soon. 
 We rented the lane for an hour, but with so many of us, we only got to about frame six.  Perhaps none of my offspring are destined for bowling greatness.

1 comment:

Amy F. said...

I'm terrible at it, but I think bowling is so fun! And I beg to differ, those bowling shoes are the bomb!!