Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Losing Sleep

I am not one to lose sleep worrying over things. I can count on one hand the number of times worrying has kept me up at night. Lest you think I am heartless--good solid, deep sleep is a Cannon family trademark. I come by it honestly. But last night was one of those nights.

Clark and his cousin, Andrew, have been planning an all day fishing trip with their Grandpa Cannon for today. As of last night, the forecast wasn't good. Rain, snow in the mountains, wind, cold temperatures. I tried to persuade them to change it to another day, but it's hard for 10-and 11-year-old boys to postpone a fishing trip with Grandpa. They were going forward with the plan. We broke out the winter clothes and packed a thermos of hot chocolate.

During the night last night the storm rolled in. And I started to toss and turn. It rained (poured), the wind blew, there was thunder and lightning. And I worried.

By the time I got up this morning, Abe had already seen Clark off at 6 am. They were headed up to Strawberry Reservoir. It's still raining down here. I am very anxious to hear from them.
Finally around lunch time I try to call, and lo and behold! There is cell phone reception!!! Hooray! I take my worrying down a notch.

As of my last "check up" phone call the boys and Grandpa were warming up and filling up at Chuck-A-Rama. They will be home soon. I am glad. I missed that boy.

He is ten and so very grown up and responsible. If I was lost in any kind of wilderness, Clark is who I'd choose to have with me. I think he'd find us food and build us shelter and protect me from wild animals. Even so, he is my son and it hurts my heart to think of him freezing and in any possible danger.

Of course, freezing, danger and adventure are what life is all about for Clark. I'm sure he'll come home with glowing reports and I'll feel so ridiculous for having had a moment's concern. What a lucky boy to have such a Grandpa. Thanks, Dad. I love you.

No comments: