Sunday, November 1, 2009

Trick-or-Treat Etiqutte by Betsy

What a ham. This is his "cheese" smile for the camera.





















Then he got this conk on his head. He ran into a bookcase. Clark got a very similar goose egg running into the same bookcase at the same age.




















Let the festivities begin. We had a great Halloween evening.
But I have some trick-or-treat issues I need to share.

I am totally fine with the trick-or-treat tradition. There are families, quite a few in home school circles, who don't want to be involved with trick-or-treating. They have very good reasons, which I can totally respect. They fill the void with other fun Halloween traditions and I say, "Good for you!" Some families don't feel comfortable going around their neighborhoods. Once again, "fine".

But as for me and my house, we will happily extort candy from our neighbors.







But last night I noticed an APPALLING lack of trick-or-treat manners.
There are two acceptable methods of trick-or-treating. The first, and my preferred is:
The children ring the doorbell. I open the door. They said (in a sing-song voice), "Trick-or-treat!"
I smile at them; Tell them how wonderful they look; Give them candy. They smile at me and say, "Thank you!".

The second method, less preferred, but still acceptable and possibly more in the spirit of the season:
They yell in a more menacing voice "TRICK-OR-TREAT!" before even ringing the door bell. I open the door; feign fright at their costumes; give them candy. They yell, "THANK YOU!" as they run away at full speed to their next house.

The "thank you" is key.

However, it is NOT okay to come to my door and just push your candy collecting pillowcase in my face and say nothing, before or after the candy. I will just wait for them to say something. It can get awkward.

And don't even think about coming without a costume. A couple of boys tried that. One of them, when questioned about his costume, said he was the "original white boy". I gave him one Jolly Rancher and told him to come back with a costume if he wanted good candy.

Yes, I realize that my response probably prompted the smashing of three of our pumpkins. Oh well. Someone must teach him.

And lastly. How old is too old to trick-or-treat? Might I suggest 13 or 14 TOPS!
Young men, once your voice changes--that's it. The gig is up. Just know that you will not get good candy at my house once you are as tall as I am.
This is Cannon's first trick-or-treat. My neighbor put candy in his bag and Cannon just stared into his pumpkin, like he couldn't believe she was just giving it to him.













Let the trading, bargaining and negotiating commence! But so help me if I find candy wrappers on the floor. . .!

2 comments:

Castiel Moyes said...

I totally agree with your comments! Can I add one more though! I can't stand it when parents come to the door trick-or-treating for a child that can't even walk let alone eat candy! What is up with that! It TOALLY irritates me! I don't want to buy candy for adults!!! And they are always so unabashed about it. I find it really weird. It is one thing when it is your first child and you have those gung ho parents that just want to take them trick-or-treating SO bad. I can KINDA understand that but it still bugs me. But I was at a door with this mom who had three kids and one was in a carrier on her chest and she was carrying the bag for him. She told her daughter to get a piece for the baby......you mean for YOU THE MOM?! Crazy annoying! And so is the length of this comment....sorry.

Jenny said...

You are HILARIOUS. Where do you live??? I would love to visit you sometime. :) Seriously, I love your wit, sarcasm, and just ability to keep it real. You are a breath of fresh air! This post was really funny!