Tuesday, November 24, 2009

"I'm Dreaming of a Golden Turkey"

That title is the precursor to "White Christmas".

I am about to attempt my first big turkey. I've done a turkey breast in the crockpot before, which I quite like and was tempted to do this year. But Abe encouraged me to try a big bird. It is defrosting in my fridge right now and I actually dreamt about my bird last night. I had to get out my roasting pan this morning to make sure it would fit. It does. Barely.

We are anxious for our good friends from Pocatello to join us for Thanksgiving. They have five little people. They homeschool. The dad is working his way through school. They are not rolling in the dough.

As you can see we have A LOT in common and we look forward to great conversation and lots of knowing laughs. But before that can happen, my little people and I must get this house in shape. I think we're calling off school for the whole week. I just decided that right now. Yep, stick a fork in me-- I'm done.

Random note: My high school history and government teacher had two sayings that I try to use whenever I get a chance. They just make me smile. As a Thanksgiving gift I will share them with you. Feel free to use them whenever you get a chance.

1. Stick a fork in him. He's done.

2. The chances are Slim to none, and Slim's out to lunch.

That's the great thing about a blog. It's yours and you can write anything you want. Even if it is completely ridiculous and you're in one of those moods. My apologies. I've got turkey on the brain.

4 comments:

Clark Fox said...

That turkey will be good.

ollielouie said...

Make sure you remember to remove the bag of innards before you put the turkey in the oven!

Mothership said...

Hooray! The turkey was a giant (!) success. Way to go!

We had a marvelous time. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Abe Fox said...

It was indeed a Wonderfully-Moist and Super-Tasty "Golden Turkey".....Congrats Bets, on a superb first Thanksgiving in our own home.

And Sanders Fam we absolutely LOVED having you guys.....(And Emily thank you for the Paper-Bag-Turkey-Cooking technique....and for the Delicious Pies!)