Saturday, December 5, 2009

Have I Fallen So Far?

I have a matter I need to discuss.

Yesterday I took Bethany to the Festival of Trees for a dance performance. She was great and I loved watching her. But I want to know why EVERY woman I saw there was dressed to the nines, had the most stylish handbags, had no hair out of place, and had faultless make-up---- including the ones with perfectly stylish babies and strollers.

I'm aware that I fell off the fashion train some time ago, but SHEESH! Where are these women coming from? What do they do all day? Does it come naturally to them? Do they do anything besides worry about what they're wearing and how they look?

Listen to me. I sound horrible, but I'm truly flabbergasted.

Honestly, I try to make myself lovely. I put on makeup everyday. I do my hair almost every day. I don't wear t-shirts and jeans with holes in them. I suppose I do wear my tennis shoes too often, but they are really comfy and I'm a busy woman. I exercise regularly.

So my question is-- Have I fallen so far off the fashion train that I cannot even sort of relate to these very "done up" women?

I take the time I need to get ready in the morning, but then that's it-- I'm done thinking about my clothes and hair. I've got my people to take care of; we've got school work to do, books to read, music to practice, scriptures to read, meals to make, jobs to do, friends to call, cardboard spaceships to build, hugs to give, ouchies to make better, a toddler to keep off the table, piano lessons to teach, callings to fulfill.

Years ago a friends told me what she told her daughter: "Pretty is as pretty does".

I don't think I'll be able to catch the "fashion train" again, but hopeful I can catch the "pretty train" by doing pretty things.

4 comments:

Mothership said...

I feel the same way. I plain don't have time to be lip-lined and manicured.

There is too much to say. I'm going to blog about it. . . I'll credit you for the idea!

Inspiration Station said...

Betsy,
I totally can relate. It's ironic because your post reminded me of a quote by Sis. Hinckley and then I saw your friend that she had posted another one as well. Here it is. Sure reminds me what's really important--

"I don't want to drive up to the pearly gates in a shiny sports car, wearing beautifully, tailored clothes, my hair expertly coiffed, and with long, perfectly manicured fingernails.
I want to drive up in a station wagon that has mud on the wheels from taking kids to scout camp.
I want to be there with a smudge of peanut butter on my shirt from making sandwiches for a sick neighbors children.
I want to be there with a little dirt under my fingernails from helping to weed someone's garden.
I want to be there with children's sticky kisses on my cheeks and the tears of a friend on my shoulder.
I want the Lord to know I was really here and that I really lived."
— Marjorie Pay Hinckley

Betsy Fox said...

Oooh, good quote, Mindy. Thank you--that is just what I needed to hear.

Melissa said...

Hi Betsy,
I am a friend of a friend (Emily). I love your post. Moms like you are an inspiration to others--and they are noticing you too. I have 6 children, am homeschooling too, cubscouting, piano lesson running, etc. etc.------you are not alone. I guess we just do our best and smile thinking of Sister Hinckley. Love those quotes that have been posted!