Monday, May 31, 2010

Memorial Day 2010

This was the highlight of Memorial Day for us. After visiting the graves of my grandparents (Glen and Joyce Richards Cannon) and great grandparents (Spencer and Nancy Croxall Cannon) we walked a few yards south to visit the graves of Abe's great-grandparents (Mary Leona and Jesse Levi Jolley).
As we were locating the grave, the three people in the middle of this photo overheard us saying, "Jolley" and they called us over. The man next to Abe is his Great Uncle, Aaron Jolley, and then his son-in-law and daughter, Julie Jolley Davis. We visited with them for a bit. They were delightful and they shared with us a few family stories. Julie told us she idolized her older cousin, Kathleen (Abe's mom), as a girl because she had a princess canopy bed.
Aaron Jolley is known as "Grandpa Tooth Fairy" to his grandchildren. Each of his many grandchildren (now great-grandchildren) call him whenever they lose a tooth and he sends them a bit of money. When he looked at Elinor's mouth and saw how many teeth she was missing, Grandpa Tooth Fairy was so sweet to let Elinor share in the family tradition! Her face lit up like the Fourth of July when he gave her a 2 dollar bill. As for the head scarf she is wearing. I can only tell you that she liked how it looked and she wore it all morning.


Earlier this morning we met up with some Clark family relatives at my mom's, Clark grandparents' and Tessa's grave. I love Memorial Day even though it tends to be a very emotional day for me. I find it very cleansing and cathartic. Here Aunt Diane is making me cry by telling me stories about my mom and my Grandma Clark. Aunt Diane has had some pretty serious health problems over the last year so we are so glad she is still with us.

Memorial Day makes me SO GRATEFUL for the good families Abe and I come from. Families that for generations have worked hard and tried to live the gospel of Jesus Christ. Nobody's been famous or wealthy, but they have loved their families and done right by their fellow men. A worthy example for which I am grateful.
Is it possible that Clark is already gaining that much height on me?













Grandpa Cannon was our companion for the day. After the cemeteries we got lunch and shakes at Artic Circle. It was a very enjoyable morning. Abe is back at work now and the kids and I are enjoying our first official day off school!

1 comment:

Abe Fox said...

I am so Proud to be a JOLLEY-FOX!!