Monday, September 20, 2010

Late Nesting

We are blessing George on Sunday.  Even though it can be a little bit stressful, I LOVE the day of the baby blessing.  It seems to be the formal welcoming of this new soul to our family.  It is wonderful to celebrate with our family and friends. 
In an effort to get the house ready for a gathering afterward, we've been in a major clean up mode for the last couple of weeks.  Don't feel sorry for me-- this house has needed a good deep cleaning for a while. I never did get that extra energy for nesting at the end of the pregnancy.  I think I'm getting my nesting instincts a couple of months late.  But I'll take it. 
So I'm scrubbing blinds (we're way past the dusting), scouring cabinet doors, organizing nooks and crannies, washing walls.  It is my understanding that this is normal levels of cleaning for most homes, but it is new to me.  Now wait!  Before you think I'm just disgusting, hear me out. . .  then feel free to think I'm disgusting.

I grew up in the army where we moved every 2 or 3 years.  It takes time for dirt to build up and by the time it was dirty enough to really need a good cleaning, it was time to move!  Abe and I have moved a few times since we've been married and it's been the same thing.  By the time it's dirty-- we've moved.  But we've been here for a while and we're not going anywhere, so it is time to clean!  It hasn't been so bad.  There have been some good moments. 
Elinor was scrubbing walls with me on Saturday and she kept saying, "This is fun!  Getting to work with my mom and dad is like a holiday!"   Okay, Elinor, you're my favorite child this week.

All that being said, don't bring any white gloves to my house on Sunday-- there are still 6 children living here.

No comments: