Monday, February 28, 2011

Weird Science and Conflict Resolution

There are some really good ideas online for reusing baby food jars.  This wasn't one of them.

I can't believe that nobody thought of creating a mad scientist's lab with Littlest Pet Shops floating in formaldehyde (water).

That is how seriously my girls take their science.  Yes, it is impressive. 

I have a situation for you to help me solve.  An ownership dispute between Bethany and Faith, but it could have been between any of the kids as this is not the first dispute of its kind.

In our house I will ask my people to pick up their "precious things", but if they are small trinkets and I continue to find them left out-- they go to the trash without comment and no one is ever the wiser.

NOTE:  No one ever misses anything I throw away.  They don't even know it's gone.  They are happier to have less things to pick up without having to make the hard choice themselves.  I provide a service, much like the city garbage man.  I am loved and appreciated for my efforts.  Okay, that last part is an exaggeration.

There are a couple of flaws in my master de-cluttering plan.  First, the children can look in to the garbage bin and see what I've put there.  If they see their "precious thing" in the trash can, they silently retrieve the item and go put it away.  But that is okay, because the end result is toys put away and not left out.

The second and real problem is when one child sees another child's "precious thing" in the trash can.  The child silently retrieves the item and at that point considers it their "precious thing" now.

We had just such an occurrence today.  A miniature bottle of bubbles Faith got at a birthday party.  She left it out one too many times, I threw it away, Bethany retrieved and claimed it, Faith saw her with it-----and sadness ensues.  What to do?  What to do?  I took the bottle back into my own pocket, and said I would decide later ,who was the rightful owner.   You can guess where the bubbles are now.

Did I do right?  I'm not sure. But nobody has asked about the bubbles since and I'm fairly certain no one ever will.  Is there a better way to deal with "precious thing" clutter?

Perhaps I sound heartless, but we can live very comfortably in this house as long as we don't get overrun by "precious things".  The kids are used to it, and like I said,  I'm pretty sure I am loved and appreciated for my efforts.  :)
Funny girls.

1 comment:

Amy F. said...

This is hilarious! Your kids are so creative!