Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Nauvoo, The City Beautiful -- GPA Day 5

The Nauvoo Temple:  Abe and I were last in Nauvoo in April 1998.  We were childless and we remember our trip very fondly.  I can only say that this trip has been all the great things we remembered and much, much more.  This truly is a beautiful city and there is such a feeling of peace and goodness here.

The day has been a great success.  We saw and did everything we possibly could have in one day.
However, we were somewhat tormented by this.
I think this face says it all.  I'm not sure whether to laugh or cry when I think of his behavior today.   He made himself known to all the missionaries he came in contact with.  In fact, several remembered him from the night before at the play.  Some kids slow down when they are tired, but Cannon just gets louder and faster.  We love him, but I'm glad he'll be strapped into his car seat for a few hours tomorrow.
  The wagon ride: It was made even better by Elinor finding a tree frog on a wagon bench.  It was quite chilly and we liked wrapping up in the quilts the sister missionary provided.
The Heber C. Kimball House:  It's remodeled, not restored.  It is GORGEOUS!!! I don't care if I have to haul my own water-- I want to live there.
The upstairs nursery room was to die for.  Cute, sweet, darling, delightful, absolutely perfect.
Cute, sweet, darling, delightful, absolutely perfect.
The memorials in the Smith Family Cemetery:  The Community of Christ Church owns most of the Joseph Smith properties, which they give guided tours to.  They were very informative, but very long-- not such a good combination for our little people.
 The Old Nauvoo Burial Grounds:  So beautiful, reverent, sacred, peaceful.  This is Abe's and my favorite place in Nauvoo.
The upstairs of Joseph Smith's Red Brick Store:  Clark takes a moment to preach The Good Word.
The Webb Blacksmith ShopThis was a favorite for everyone.  We watched the senior missionary make us a mini horseshoe and then everyone picked out a prairie diamond ring.
The streets of Nauvoo:  I love them.  I wish my neighborhood looked like this.
The Nauvoo Quarry:  It's where the original temple stones came from.  Not too much to see there now as it is mostly filled in with water.
Friends at the temple.
More friends.
The Pi Pod guys were happy to be together again.
More than friends???  Shades of the future?
 The Nauvoo leg of the trip has been all we hoped for and more, and tomorrow we'll be off and running to St. Louis.

1 comment:

christini yogini said...

Beautiful photos! So glad you're having a good trip!