Monday, May 16, 2011

OPERATION: WORK BEFORE PLAY

When we were on our big adventure a little while back we stayed a couple of nights in Wichita, Kansas with Abe's brother's family--Russell and Melissa and their four daughters.  We had a great time and I noticed something about how their home operated.
--They were diligent in doing their dishes right after a meal.
--When I asked if I could do a couple loads of laundry, their laundry room floor wasn't covered in dirty clothes and clothes didn't need to be moved through in order for me to start a load.  The laundry room was ready and waiting. 
--The playroom was picked up before going to bed at night.
--There was a place for everything and everything was in its place (what a concept!)

Basically, they had time to sit in the living room in the evening and relax because all the work was done.

Many of you may be reading this, thinking, "Isn't that how everyone lives?"
Let me assure you that this is NOT how everyone lives.
Me for instance.

Oh, I do take time to sit and read, but it is always at the expense of work that needs to be done, so it's not true relaxation.

But I really enjoyed the order to their home, and I have made a vow to change my sloppy ways.  Well, not exactly a vow... but I really am going to try harder.  Part of that effort  to change my ways involves convincing/forcing my children to change their sloppy ways.  I do understand that their ways are mere reflections of my own ways, but it takes a pretty concerted effort to change deep seated house keeping habits of a large family.

Here's my plan for OPERATION:  WORK BEFORE PLAY 
1.  Each person MUST pick up their own belongings. You get it out-- you put it away. REVOLUTIONARY!!
2.  Each child is already assigned certain jobs to do each day.  They are responsible for their jobs for about 4 months before the jobs rotate.  When I see a job needs to be done-- SHOW NO MERCY-- call them in to do the job.   Yes, it might be easier to just do it myself, but I must be strong.
3.  Everyone picks up and straightens up before meals.  I'm just thinking about his one-- I haven't actually put it into practice yet.
4.  Although it may seem somewhat unrelated, I MUST have regular, nutritious meals planned and prepared every day.  I have long felt that having to feed this many people three times a day is excessive and unrealistic.  REALLY???  Three times a day???  It is too much!  But it must be done.  These healthy satisfying meals are the keys to a smooth family life.  *Sigh*  I must make (and stick with) a meal plan.

Perhaps I'll keep you posted on my progress.  Ooh!  Maybe I'll show you pictures of my clean kitchen sink?  Or my clear laundry room floor?

Oh, I'm just kidding!   I know you don't want to see that and besides, the moment of cleanliness would be so fleeting, I'd never be able to find the camera in time.

2 comments:

Melissa said...

I don't actually make the kids pick up all their own stuff... sometimes, I pick it up and dump it in their rooms. And you didn't see Caitlyn's room at it's worst (it can get pretty bad). But, I do make them all help pick up everything. (I've often said, "If I ONLY PICKED UP THE MESSES I MAKE THEN THIS HOUSE WOULD BE A STY!" in response to their "but I didn't make the mess" whine.)

And meal plans are heavenly. Though, I don't feed them lunch -- it's on your own, generally. We only made lunch because you guys were here. I do, however, advocate for a weekly/monthly dinner meal plan. It's nice to get to the end of the day and not have to rack one's brain for something to cook.

Good luck!!

Sariah said...

www.dealstomeals.com

They do the menu for you according to what is on sale that week. I generally only choose 2-3 options for the week, but it is well worth the $5/month fee because it has the list already done and takes out my thinking time.

By no means am I completely successful with the "feeding my family well" concept, but it has helped me to improve.

Good luck!
Sariah