Friday, May 20, 2011

Poetry Recitation Night

For the final month of our Kid's Book Club the kids were suppose to read as much poetry as they could and then we came together tonight for a Poetry Recitation.  Here is part of the group waiting at the library for the rest of the group to arrive.  We had kids, siblings, and some parents recite--23 in all!  This was a most enjoyable way to spend a Friday evening!
  Elinor was first on the program and she recited, "I'm Nobody!  Who Are You?" by Emily Dickinson.  She dressed all in white because Emily Dickinson dressed all in white when she got older.  When Els was memorizing this poem she accidentally kept saying, "I'm a nobody!  Are you a nobody too?"
I told her it was really important that she say "I'm nobody" and not "I'm a nobody".  It's a small word, but it really changes the whole meaning.
Not the most flattering picture, but Clark had one of the best moments of the evening.  He recited "O Captain!  My Captain!" by Walt Whitman.  It was a challenge, but he delivered it beautifully.  He is very good at memorizing things.

Abe did "Abou Ben Adhem" by James Henry Leigh Hunt.  He considered dressing in his Arab garb, but decided against it.  It was for the best-- this was no costume party.  This was high-brow.  Well, it was until Cannon went.

Cannon did "Trick or Treat" author unknown.  No, no-- that is not some classic you are unaware of.  It was the good old, "Trick or treat, smell my feet, give me something good to eat..."  You know the rest.  What can I say?  We thought it was funny.

I did "Solitude" by Ella Wheeler Wilcox. Faith recited "Happy Thoughts" by Robert Louis Stevenson.  It goes, "The world is so full of a number of things.  I'm sure we should all be as happy as kings."

Bethany was the final reciter with "My Shadow" by Robert Louis Stevenson.  She dressed all in black and was very expressive.  
 I'll try to put some videos up soon, but we're having a few technical difficulties.  We'll see.
   We went over to the park for dinner afterward.  I'm going to pretend I do not see a pile of cookies and cheetos on both Bethany's and Elinor's plates.  I would appreciate if you would do the same.  
I just have to put this picture up because it is my favorite of the evening. 
I'm hoping other families might be interested in doing another poetry recitation night next year. 

No comments: