Saturday, June 25, 2011

POOK on Texas!

Pook on Texas!  That is not a very nice thing to say, but I don't care.  Pook, pook, POOK on Texas!!!!

My sister is moving to Texas in less than a month.  My sister who currently lives less than 10 minutes away from me.  My sister who has born my little nieces and nephew that were going to be best little playmates with my younger children.  My sister who I love and is the closest thing to my mom I have left here on earth.  I am very sad.  Very sad, indeed.

Her husband Dev got a great job in Big Springs, Texas.  Google it-- it is way the stink out there.  It's a small town and as much as I am sad (for my sake) that they are leaving, I'm sure they will love it.  I hear Texans are about the nicest people on the planet.  They better be.

I am feeling such a loss not just for myself (although a lot for myself), but for my kiddos and their cousins.  I had visions of Takara and Faith playing on a softball team together.  Cannon and Brigham playing flag football.  Now they will be their cool cousins from Texas, but not friends that are a regular part of their lives. 

Oh, and she is now the third of my three siblings to move out of state-- and I don't mean Idaho.  Matt is in Vancouver, Washington, Chip is in Falls Church, Virginia, and now Big Springs, Texas.  What the heck is the matter with Utah?-- except that the available jobs pay next to nothing because so many people want to stay here to be close to family and so MY family is all moving out of state!  So this is me hosting a BIG OLE pity party for myself and nobody else is invited!!!

Please don't try to comfort me with thoughts of technology to keep us in touch.  I know that!  But I am sad and I want to be sad for a while.  Just a couple of weeks ago I was thinking how long it has been since I needed a good cleansing cry.   HA!  I've more than made up for it this week. *sniff*

Brig and Dev flew to Texas today to look for housing and Takara (almost 4) is staying with us for a few days.  I love her and am very happy to have her here, even if she is a constant reminder that my dear svester is way the stink out in Texas looking for a new house that I can't easily drive to.  POOK!

I grew up moving all over while all of my extended family lived here in Utah.  I appreciated that we got to live lots of different places, but I always loved coming to Utah to visit family here.  Yet, I was a little bit jealous of the closeness that my extended family had here and even though they are the nicest people I know, I felt we weren't quite one of them.  I've always hoped that my current extended family (my siblings' families) would be like they were-- gathering for lots of holidays and special family events and couples going on dates.  Now I know that that will not be the case.  I suppose I am mourning the loss of what never will be as well as my sister and her family. 

I recently read an article about being of good cheer.  I'm going to need to work on that in the near future.  

Well... I guess there is one thing that makes me feel a little bit better.  "The Alamo".  I don't mean plans of going to visit The Alamo, although I hope that does happen at some point.  I mean saying aloud, "The Alamo" like Pee Wee Herman does in Pee Wee's big adventure.  Try it.  It does help. "The Alamo"

2 comments:

christini yogini said...

Betsy, that is sad news! :(
Hang in there.
Hugs & Alamo to you!

Amy F. said...

Bummer Betsy! It is tough to be away from the people you love. I agree, phone/email is not enough. The best part of having family around is serving each other, working together and eating together. The hugs are good too. Maybe they'll come back someday.