Sunday, August 7, 2011

The 50-Miler According to Clark

The boys are back in town!!!!  They returned Saturday afternoon from their 50 mile adventure through the Uinta Mountains.  I am happy to report that they came home in pretty good shape and very good spirits.

Clark kept a journal of each day on the trail, so this post will be in his words.  Can I tell you the joy it brought to my heart that not only did he keep a journal, but he titled each entry!!!!!  Just like he was planning for my blog!  Glorious!  And don't worry, he has given permission for me to post the journal.  May I just say that I think my man-child came home about 2 years older and more mature than he left.  I am one proud mama.  And so, without further ado....The 50 Miler From the View of Clark.


3-2-1-Go August 1
Today was the first day of the 50-miler.
I was expecting it to be a ton harder.  It was a challenge though.  I feel ready for tomorrow.  The fishing at Rainbow Lake was terrible.
 I caught a small frog at the lake.  We passed by five lakes getting here.
It was an 11 or 12 mile day.  We did great.  We were in the middle-front,  we even skipped three breaks.  I didn't cry once.  This was hard, but very fun.
We roasted marshmallows and set up camp.  So far, I want to go next year.

Blister Day August 2
Today a large tree fell.  It sounded like a gunshot and it was cool to watch.  It knocked down 2 other trees, 25 feet from us.
We went 7 miles today.  I led the entire group for 30 minutes.
It was easy except for the really steep down hill at the end which gave me a really big blister on my left pinkie toe.

Ouch! August 3
Today (sorry my pen just died and Dad gave me a new one) was so hard!!
10 miles, 2,300 ft. up, so the trail was really steep.  Me and Dad went the long way and we added on a quarter mile.
 I caught the first fish.
We ate mac and cheese for dinner.  Lunch was a gross soup.
 We crossed three big rivers today by building bridges and using ropes.  We got to camp at 4 p.m. I led for a mile.  The mosquitoes are awful.  The "Pop on the Wall " song starts with 99 bottles of pop on the wall, 99 bottles of pop.  Jeremy went from 999 bottles of pop to zero!

Oi!! August 4
We got to Squaw Lake at 1 pm today.  I have 20 bug bites on my ankles, lots on my face, and some up my pants.
I waded through the lake and swam in it.  It was great.  I caught another frog on the trail.  Some people are speaking in an English accent.  Chili tonight-gross.
 
Bad fishing here.  There is a large tree cracking close to us.  Cereal in the morning.  Lots of lightning.  9 miles tomorrow.  Not eating much at all.  Top ramen, soup, and chili are gross.  !Hungry!
 Dad misses mom:(

Super Clark August 5
Today I was at the very very back.  After lunch and after 2 Ho-Ho's, I was able to run down the trail without getting tired-(serious).  Breaks are now torture.  I lead all the time.  And Dad can't keep up.  He keeps telling me to slow down.
 Later that day Brother Thornton broke his ankle and by a miracle it was fixed so that it was painful, but he could walk on it.
 We went swimming in Island Lake
I washed my hair. It was very cold.  We had a very special testimony meeting.  Everyone bore their testimony including me.

Home Sweet Home August 6
We went 9 miles today.  I was near the back.  It was amazing how Brother Thornton could walk the whole 9 miles without taking a break.
 When me and my dad were going we didn't want to be beat to the finish line, so when we saw 3 people behind us we thought it was Brother Thornton and the 2 people helping him.  So we started running down the trail for the last mile.  But it wasn't him.  When we finally saw the cars I was so happy and relieved!  I had the best sloppy-joe of my life in the parking lot.
 The shower I had when I got home was awesome.  And now I know I want to go next year. 

5 comments:

christini yogini said...

Awesome!! I love Clark's journaling, & those pictures are fantastic! So glad they had a safe trip!

Jill Larsen said...

Congratulations Clark on both completing the 50 miler and becoming a travel writer--keep it up!

Ali said...

Welcome home! I am so glad that you two men got to spend this past week together on your adventure! Looks like it was a wonderful experience and beautiful area! Congratulations!

Love ya,
Aunt Ali

P.S. Betsy I bet you slept better last night!

jkmilligan said...

Glad they had a great time!

Gabrielle Kim said...

I love that Clark kept a journal of his experience. It looks like he might have a future with blogging just like his Momma! My favorite part is "Dad misses mom"! Glad they had a great time and made it home safely!