Sunday, February 12, 2012

Mistress of Pemberley

Alright, ladies.  Let's talk details of how I came to so thoroughly embody Elizabeth Bennett last night.

At about 3:30 it was time to start getting ready for the ball, and I had to call Bethany home from her friend's house to help me do my hair. 
As you can see, this was no easy feat.  There was a lot of manpower, electricity, and hardware involved.
Once the hair was curled, I put it in a pony tail and started pinning up the curls. 
Like so.
Then I tied my ribbon in my hair.
Next I put in my small curlers for the "soft curls to frame my face".
The long braids in front were wrapped under and then over my big bunch of pinned curls in the back.
Overall I was happy with the hairstyle, except in hindsight, I wouldn't have done the braids.  They made me look weird in all my pictures because they pulled on my temples and gave me abnormal wrinkles on both sides.  Perhaps no one else can tell, and you probably wouldn't tell me if you could, but I think I look strange.  No matter-- the evening was still outrageously fun.
As for my dress, it is the same dress I wore last year, but with a different color ribbon-- pink rather than periwinkle.
But it is time for me to come clean.  It's not actually a dress.
It is a nightgown my grandmother gave to me at a shower before Abe and I got married. 
I wore my nightgown to the Regency Romance Ball. 
It was very comfortable and I do think it looked better this year since I was smaller than last year.
I like to think I was resourceful.  

I like to think a lot of things that make me feel better.
The first three ladies in the picture-- Adrianne, Jennilyn, and Andrea-- were also resourceful.  But they were resourceful AND talented as they each made their own dresses.  I love having talented friends.  I'm happy to bask in their reflective glow.
I understand there may be a Titanic themed ball coming up in April-- minus the prospect of the entire group being sunk at the end-- it sounds delightful.  First I get to dress up and act like I'm the Mistress of Pemberley and now you are telling me I get to pretend to live at Downton Abbey? 
Are you kidding me?  Here's to fleeing reality!

3 comments:

Abe Fox said...

Again, it was an evening never to be forgotten!! Congratulations, Bets, on creating such a hair-do masterpiece!!

Gabrielle Kim said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Gabrielle Kim said...

You and Abe both look fabulous!
I am so envious of your hair - beautiful!