Sunday, February 12, 2012

The Regency Romance Ball

Last night was one of, if not THE most enjoyable evenings of my entire life.

An overstatement?  I don't think so.

It was the return of the Regency Romance Ball!
It is like Prom for parents!

Last year was so novel and enjoyable, but this year was FANTASTIC because we were there with many of our very good friends. 
This is the group having dinner at about the midway point of the evening.  We did have a picture done of the whole group, but I can't put it up quite yet because it isn't scanned. 
The dancing!!!  Oh, the dancing was SO MUCH FUN!!  We learned 12 different dances-- some of which you do in a square of four couples, some in two lines-- gentlemen on one side, ladies on the other, and some in a giant circle.
This style of dancing MUST make a comeback in the wider population!  It is so clean and fun and elegant and graceful and lovely.  There was one dance in particular that is so fast and it is all you can do to keep up and your swinging and flinging your partner and everyone is laughing.  My hairpins were quite literally flying out of my head.  It is making me grin with delight just remembering it!
Before beginning that energetic dance, this was the scene before my eyes-- HOW GORGEOUS IS THAT??? 
And this was the scene before them.  Lucky, lucky men.
I will do another post after this one discussing the costuming and hairstyles, but I must make mention that Andrea made her gorgeous dress and bonnet.  How fabulous.  She came in runner-up in the ladies' costume contest.
Here we are promenading in the ladies' contest. 
The gentlemen preparing to promenade.  Ooh-la-la!
Here is Abe giving his best Mr. Darcy impersonation.  And it was really, really good because he was chosen to be one of the finalists.  The ball attendees voted with cheers and although he was up against stiff competition from a Scotchman in a kilt and a man dancing a jig in breeches, Abe ran away with the competition!!  I was so proud!!!  He looked the part, but he also really hammed it up, keeping his chin elevated and playing it very cool and arrogant.
He won some movies and play tickets.
I like it.
 A lot.
This is the new picture, to replace last year's picture, that I will put in the heart shaped frame on my kitchen window sill.  When I do the dishes I will look at it and it will keep me from feeling resentful that I am the one doing the dishes.  After all, the man did take me to the Regency Romance Ball-- 2 years in a row!

6 comments:

Melissa said...

You are one very lucky woman. *jealous*

Dawn Harvey said...

It was so nice to meet you both last night. Thank you for adding to such an enjoyable evening. Beautiful family!
Dawn Harvey

christini yogini said...

Gorgeous!!! So glad you got to go and have so much fun! You look fabulous, darling!!!!!

Abe Fox said...

It was an ABSOLUTELY wonderful way to spend an evening with my forever bride and excellent friends!!!!

Gabrielle Kim said...

This looks like so much fun! I agree that this kind of entertainment should make a comeback, and possibly the dresses and accents...
It's so hard to imagine Abe throwing himself into a dramatic role...just kidding - congratulations Mr. Darcy!

Baden said...

Awesome! That looks like so much fun!