Friday, October 20, 2017

It Was the Best of Times, It Was the Worst of Times

I know this blog isn't read terribly far and wide.
And that's just fine by me.  It's really meant to be a family history record for our family and our future posterity.  I don't enjoy dwelling on the negative here; in fact, the blog is a therapy of sorts for me to write these posts in a way that frames life in a positive light.  That being said, October has felt pretty rough at our house.  It's nothing that can't be dealt with, and compared to many I know and I love, who are experiencing truly difficult, overwhelming trials, I have no business complaining.  
Even so, I have felt rather depressed in spirits as of late.  I am hopeful that our challenges will be resolved sooner rather than later.  To those who have helped us in our difficulties, I am sincerely thankful.
Years ago, I had a Relief Society President I worked with who taught me that anytime there are terrible, hard things happening in your life, there are simultaneously equally wonderful things happening.  So, it seems, it is always the best of times and the worst of times.

This blog is a place for me to share the best of times.  
And the very best part of the month was half of the family performing in the cast of Bluffdale Arts Council's production of A Tale of Two Cities.  It's a musical and if you've never seen it or heard the music (I hadn't until my peeps were in it), YOU REALLY MUST!  Such beautiful music!  And a beautiful story.  I mean, very sad, but very beautiful at the same time.  You know, that whole "best of times, worst of times" thing.
Abe played the part of Gaspard-- whose son is run over by the Marquis' carriage and then Gaspard murders the Marquis.  George played Little Gaspard.  It was really horrible watching George's "dead" body carried on and off the stage.  His acting technique was to close his eyes and be floppy.   And he did it SO WELL!  I didn't see him twitched once in the three shows I watched.  And sometimes he had to lay there quite a while while Gaspard sang and sobbed over his dead son.  
Please note this was a dress rehearsal and Defarge did not wear sneakers, nor did George wear Converse.  
I cried during each show.  It wasn't just George dying.  Bethany got to be a dead young woman who'd been beated and Faith was marched off to the guillotine and the audience heard a hair-raising metal slicing sound.  No wonder we've had a bad vibe at our house this month!
Anyway, I was so impressed with this show.  I think it was the best I've ever seen Bluffdale put on.
Clark got to play and English judge and a completely deranged French president.  Bethany was stunning in the ensemble.  
The show reeked havoc on our family's schedule, but it was also kind of bummer that it was only one weekend, because I'd happily go see it again.  Three times wasn't enough.  Once again, this was a dress rehearsal..
I'm mostly so happy Abe and George got to do this together.  George loved having a mic.  But the remains of the tape they used on the back of his neck has been very difficult to get off.  So he still looks like a dirty street urchin with built up dirt on his neck.  Oh, well.
This.  
I. don't. even. know.
Now, I really must say something about Abe.  First of all, in real life, he is no where near as ginormous as he looks in this picture.  No matter.
Secondly, I did not know that he could actually ACT!  He was so good!  I knew he could be over-the-top cheesy.  I knew he could be really animated.  But a dramatic actor?  Oh, yes he can!  I was very proud of him.
And now I know exactly where our children get it from.  
Once again, a dress rehearsal, so the socks and underclothing aren't quite right, but you get the idea.

2 comments:

christini yogini said...

Hi, Betsy! I've just been catching up with your blog and want to send you a big virtual hug! Though we are far in distance, you are close to my heart. Big hugs to you & all your beautiful family!❤️❤️

Camille Fox said...

Betsy, I am sorry that October has been a hard month. I hope that your challenges will be resolved soon. I am sorry that you have been down. (I have too, and it doesn't feel so good.) I love the wisdom of the RS president whom you worked with. I too will focus on the positive, and look to notice all the good that is happening around us.
I so wish I could have seen the play! Besides the busy rehearsal schedule part, it sounds like it was such a great experience to be a part of! Thank you for sharing! Thank you for blogging! <3