Monday, October 31, 2011

NOT FOR THE SQUEAMISH

No, seriously.  This post is not for the squeamish.

I took Cannon with me this afternoon to run a couple of errands.  Shortly after I returned home Clark and Elinor were goofing around in the kitchen, playing some kind of chase game.  I was upstairs when I heard the screaming and panic.  I ran downstairs and saw the blood.  Elinor had slipped on a piece of paper and fallen, landing with her head on the corner of an opened, bottom kitchen drawer. 

Did you know that head wounds bleed profusely?  Yep, they do.  I have never seen any of my children bleed so much.  

Do you want to see a picture of some of the blood there was?  Only because it is still Halloween and so it is okay to be gruesome, I will show you.
This of course does not include the blood covering Elinor's hand and arm.

My children are by nature quite cautious and not prone to many injuries.  I have six children, and until today, have never taken any of them to the emergency room.  This seemed like a good opportunity to check out my local emergency room.
They were very good to her at the hospital and got her cleaned up a bit and put four staples in her head.  Elinor is now the first and only child in our family to have had a broken bone, stitches, and now staples. 

Right after she was injured she was crying pretty hard and covered in blood.  She cried out, "Will I still get to go trick-or-treating?!"

 As it turns out she could still go, but understandably she didn't feel very well.  So after about half an hour she came home to help me pass out candy.  The other kids have offered to share some of their haul with her.  And now that I've seen and done the emergency room-- it's not really that impressive -- I'd just assume not go there ever again.

4 comments:

Amy F. said...

Poor Elinor, I was feeling sorry for our Jessica tonight because she fell 3 feet off of someones porch into a huge thorny rosebush and her second tooth cap of the week fell out (more surgery ahead), but Elinor definitely had a worse day!! I'm glad that that is all over and the healing can begin!!

camfox said...

This reminds me so much of our Thanksgiving last year when Sadie gashed her head. It was ON Thanksgiving day, mid-morning, It was our first and only trip to the e.r. as well, and she got a few staples, and there was a lot of blood like you said. I hope Elinor recovers well, poor girl.

Abe Fox said...

For full disclosure I must point out that it is true that Betsy has never previously taken any of our children to the ER. She took Els to an Insta-Care for her broken arm, and Elinor's stitches were done at a doctor's office for a mole removal.

I, on the other hand, once took Clark to the Emergency Room of the Valley Hospital in Spokane, WA, for x-rays to see if he had broken his arm when he rolled a 4-wheeler on top of himself. (It wasn't broken, thank goodness)

Still, 6 kids, from ages 1 to 12 with very few major medical emergencies.

jkmilligan said...

Poor Elinor! I am jealous that you had never taken a kid to the emergency room before that. We have been there way too many times!