Thursday, November 17, 2011

Save the Leaves

We have a big beautiful cottonwood tree in our front yard.  I have told you before how much I love this tree.  In the summer it is so full and lush with green leaves.  A child can hide in that tree and I could not find them if they didn't want to be found.  And then, glorious Autumn arrives and all those beautiful leaves turn brown and yellow and they blanket my front yard. 
I love to walk across my crunchy leaves.  It is such a satisfying sound.  That sound signifies the coming of good things-- Thanksgiving and Christmas.  More than anything I love to hear children running around in leaves and watch them gather great armfuls of leaves to throw at each other.
Nobody gets hurt when they wrestle each other to the ground because there is a layer of cushion-ey, crunchy leaves.
But sometimes the wind blows my leaves.  I should think everyone would be thrilled to share in my joy of leaves.

But they are not.

I don't understand why everyone is in such a hurry to remove and dispose of such fabulous, free, and natural fall decor.  I know that they ought not to stay covering the lawn all winter, as it would be bad for the grass.  But why bother raking until all the leaves are off the trees?  Why can't we all enjoy the look and sound of leaves for a while?

No comments: