Friday, July 24, 2015

Timpanogos Cave Adventure

I don't forsee Abe and I ever being the really sporty, outdoorsy types.  I suppose we enjoy the comforts of home too much--perhaps I should just speak for myself.  In any case, we do try to get out every now and then and have an outdoor adventure.  This week we hiked up to the Timpanogos Cave. 
I think it's pretty impressive that we all managed to make it up to the cave, but I think it's even more impressive that we got up at 5:30 AM, left the house at 6:10 AM.  Whoo-hoo for us!
Cannon and Faith are my favorite hiking buddies.  They are quick and they never complain.
Speaking of never complaining... George is a fantastically tough little guy and completely keeps pace with anyone in the family.
Peter has no problem keeping up as well... being carried in the backpack!  He quite enjoys it.  Abe carried him all the way up the mountain in the backpack.  Peter fell asleep in the caves and then Abe carried him down in his arms.  He is a good, good daddy.
I did offer to help carry Peter, but Abe carried him the whole way.  His arms and shoulders have, understandably, been a little sore since.
 Elinor and I are hiking buddies and we are not fast.  I'd like to say we just like to stop and smell the roses, but in actuality, I am out of shape and Elinor does not love hiking.  That's okay, we made it, just a little slower than everyone else.
Abe likes to tell made up stories about lots of things.  He told the little boys that this rock was once a play thing to a T-Rex.  George asked his favorite question, "In real life??"
Abe told us to make tired, miserable faces.  Every other person got the memo.
For as athletic as she is, she is not a big risk taker.  I'm impressed with this picture.
It's almost like we were on a date together... almost.
Not really.
The caves are pretty cool.  I mean, the temperature is quite cool, but they are impressive to see as well.  I don't think they are the most awesome caves I've ever been in-- I recall some really impressive ones in the Black Hills in South Dakota-- but they are still very worth it.
Elinor enjoyed the cave, but mostly she was happy knowing that the hike back was all downhill.  We discussed how nice gravity is as long as you do what it wants.  The moment you try to go against it, it starts causing you all sorts of trouble.
For a little while Peter enjoyed looking at the formations.
He had moments in the cave of relative calm when he wasn't fussing.
But they were short lived.
Then he kind of turned into Gollum in the caves.  Not so pretty.
But this was very pretty.  Well done, Abe!  I like to imagine those other people in the photo are sending Abe happy vibes with their kind, understanding facial expressions.  Somehow I don't think they appreciated Peter in the cave. 
Sometimes I go around looking for things to feel guilty about.  For example, I feel guilty that George holds onto the cart or stroller at all times as we walk through stores.  Why does he do that?  I don't make him.  You're almost five years old-- you don't have to hold on to the cart!
In this picture, I feel a little bad that all of my people pose so cooperatively for family pictures.  I appreciate it, but have I somehow stunted their self-expression that they feel compelled to be perfect little statues in pictures?  How are we suppose to laugh at family photos years from now if you all behave so well for them?  
First world problems, right?  I should just enjoy it, but it does seem a little eery to me.

No comments: