Thursday, June 17, 2010

Revealing Moments

I'm getting to spend some extra quality time with my littlest ones this week-- Cannon is about the same as usual. My time with Faith has been very revealing. For example, as we drove around running a few errands this morning she talked incessantly. She had lots of commentary and lots of questions. My favorite question of the day, "Mommy, how does Jesus build our eyes". I explained that eyes grow inside the mommy's tummy just like all our other parts. She disagreed. Her explanation was, "He puts in some goopey stuff and then squishy rocks". Interesting.
But here's what I found most interesting. Faith doesn't do most of the talking around here. She has three older siblings afterall. But I learned today that it's not because she isn't thinking about things. I think she just can't get a word in!

When Clark and Bethany and were little I was SO anxious to start "school" with them. They were more interested in playing (which I now realize is the healthiest, best way to "school" little kids). But Faith is so crazy starving to do "school" with me. She begs for me to do piano practice with her-- and she is actually doing it! She begs for me to do her writing with her and her letter practice. I am often very involved with "motivating" the older kids to get their work done that I put her off more often than I should. It's been SO nice to have all the time in the day to do whatever Faith wants to do.

I refuse to let my children see me spending my every waking moment cleaning up their messes. They are perfectly capable of doing almost all of the household chores. I will not put their shoes away. I will not make their beds. I will not clear their dishes from the table. I will not pick up their dirty clothes. How horrible for them to think that I have nothing better to do than pick up after them. That being said, it is no easy task to get them to get their jobs done daily and pick up after themselves. I learned today that it TRULY is easier to do it myself. But NO! I will not set that pattern. So if my house is messy-- I keep it that way on PURPOSE! My purpose is to raise people that other people will enjoy being married to someday. If I just cleaned it myself I might have a cleaner house, but I'd be creating little monsters. Here's to a "Purpose-Filled Mess!"

4 comments:

Amy F. said...

I wish I could hear Faith talking in person. She's such a cutie!

I can totally relate to the "purposeful mess". Ever since I've been expecting my kids to do more chores, the house has been messier. Motivating kids to do chores....yet another thing to try to get them to accomplish. It's worth all the effort....I HOPE!!!

Mothership said...

My three oldest will all be in summer camps next week and I am REALLY looking forward to having my two small ones with me. We are going to color what they want, we are going to make foods they want to make, we are going to play on the swings and, I'm sure, they are going to talk my ears off. Yes, those younger ones are ignored a bit--but they'll have us to themselves when the "big" kids move out!

I hope you are enjoying this special time. (:

Kelli said...

Three year olds are the best!

Marj said...

Thank you for having a "purposeful mess" (I love that). Today Addi cleaned her room (well it is Millie's room too but she is another story, in trying to get her to help in a well-meaning way). I told her that everything had to be off the floor because the vacuum would come down and such up whatever was left. Well, she obeyed, tomorrow we need to PUT AWAY all the stuff that is on the desk and on anything that she could find to stash her stuff on.
Claire Edra, has not said a word except for "a-oh!", mama, papa and NO! But today she said "Lemmie-Go!" as I was hold her at the store because she climbs right out of the cart every time I put her in it. The 2nd phrase she has claimed is "Where are you?" She has gone from not speaking to sentences, it is so cute.

Betsy, I love hearing about you guys.