Sunday, September 25, 2011

Zumba

A good friend recently introduced me to Zumba.  It is a fitness craze, that at its most basic, is aerobic dancing to Latin music.  There is a lot of hip action and shaking of parts that I usually try to keep from flopping about.  It is a lot of fun and energizing and, most importantly, it doesn't feel like torturous boring exercise.  I become a dancer-- and a South American, hip shaking, hottie.

At least that is how I feel.

But apparently, it is very much NOT how I look.  My children are horrified to see me doing Zumba.  Bethany pointed out that my body really wasn't made to do Zumba. Rude.
It is so disturbing to Clark that he cannot be anywhere near me.  I'm pretty sure no 12 year old boy wants to see his mother dancing the salsa, but he keeps saying, "Mom, you really don't  have to do this.  You don't need Zumba in your life."

Yes, I do need Zumba in my life.  Do you see what I do all day, every day?  Oh, yes, I do need Zumba.  Can you give me that?  Can you give me a half an hour here and there to shake my thing and imagine?

Oh, and by the way, children, you should stay away from me or you might see how much fun I'm having and you won't be able to stop yourself and you'll have to join in too.

5 comments:

Mothership said...

Hahaha! When I did Zumba for the first time, I felt pretty silly shaking my thang that way. But then I looked around me and saw a whole bunch of all-aged white chicks looking just as stupid--with HUGE smiles on their faces. It is FUN!

I say you challenge your kids to a dance-off! We all know the mama's have the moves.

jkmilligan said...

Love it! Do you have a DVD?

Gabrielle Kim said...

I guess I am officially the last woman in America who has not done Zumba! Keep it up, no matter what the masses in your house may say!

Andrea said...

You go girl! My kids are embarrassed by me too, but who cares!

Rachelle said...

I am laughing so hard right now. I love Clark's response and I love that you are enjoying it so much. I think I need Zumba in my life too!