Friday, September 1, 2017

In Which Abe and Betsy and Friends Go To a Depeche Mode Concert

Last week Abe and I went with friends to a Depeche Mode concert.
I know...We probably don't strike you as "Depeche Mode-kind-of-people".
Well, Abe maybe a little more than me.  I'm a little on the young side for the hey-day of Depeche Mode, but thanks to my older sister's cooler friends when we lived in California, I was not a complete poser at the concert.
Even so, let's be honest--we wouldn't have been at this concert but for the invite from Andrea and James.
James and Andrea (in the middle) andDave and Jennilyn (at the end).  One of my favorite movies/musicals is Thoroughly Modern Millie.  There is a character named Muzzy and Millie admires her because she so fully embraces life and is "searching... always searching!"  She's always taking lessons and learning new things.  I love this line and it's one of the things I love about Andrea.  She is always searching out these adventures and experiences.  And as much as I think I'd like to be like that, I'm not so much.  I tend not to seek out excitement and experiences in the ways she does.  So, when she invites us along to share in her grand adventures, I love it.  I love the cultural experiences and the new perspective.

They didn't play a lot of their old stuff that we would have recognized and enjoyed.  And truthfully, we didn't love their newer music.  There was an absolute POUNDING bass throughout the evening.  The sound waves just smacked your body and you felt your whole chest and body vibrating.  I've never experienced anything like it.  It was too intense to really enjoy, but it was so awe inspiring that I kind of liked it anyway.
These are my New York gal pals, and apparently we don't just take bad selfies.  I frighten myself in this picture.
Once again, not a good picture, but great friends.  We very much enjoyed the evening while it was happening.  But somehow the memory of it makes me even happier than the actual event.  Why is that?  Why is it that sometime you think you are having a really marvelous time, but when you look back on it, it doesn't bring back such good feelings?  Hmm, I'll have to think about that.
We might not have totally belonged at the concert, but these guys were legit!  Christopher and Kelly are wonderful friends who live in our neighborhood.  Kelly's daughter Malinda was at the concert as well, wearing a Depeche Mode T-shirt of a concert the year she was born that Kelly had been too.  She is the real-deal Depeche Mode fan!  They were just a few rows in front of us.  

No comments: