Saturday, September 16, 2017

Mother McCallister Visits Salt Lake City

This absolutely made my week this week--- and that's saying something because it was a very good week!  Marge McCallister is the mother to one of my dearest high school friends in Fairfax, Virginia. She and her recently retired school teacher friend are in the middle of a cross-country trip and they found themselves passing through Salt Lake City.  To my extreme delight she contacted me and we had lunch on Thursday.  I can hardly describe how good it felt to hug her and feel of her love for me.
Her son, Trevor ended up being one of my very best friends and they lived right across the street on Worcester Dr. in Fairfax.  The first time I saw him, he another great friend, Matt Owens, were playing lacrosse in his front yard.  Perhaps they had caught word or sight of a cute new girl who moved in across the street and strategically positioned themselves to be seen!
I immediately found my high school "home" in the band at W.T. Woodson High School. 
Top Row:  Alan Kayanan, Matt Owens, Trevor McCallister,
Bottom Row;  Becky Godlove, Yours Truly, Emily Brown. 
We were all in band.  The guys and the girls.  The girls were seriously good girls.  The boys liked to party a little harder, so we did our best to keep them on the straight and narrow.  There were other most excellent friends as well, but this was the core of our group. 
Just a few years ago were were all able to be together for a reunion and it was wonderful.  I think of these friends very often and wish we could be together more often. 
Strange to think that Clark is now older than we were in this picture as seniors.
I was the drum major, thus my different uniform.  I am so special!
I am seriously almost in tears looking at this picture of the six of us.
I don't think Abe will mind if I post this picture of Trevor and I going to a homecoming dance together.  This group of six kids went to other school dances together.  My favorite was when we drew numbers to see who would be whose date.  We all knew we were going together, but we didn't know until that night who our dates would be. 
 Almost twenty years later we had a reunion and remembered our date numbers.
Oh my, I am enjoying this trip down memory lane this evening.
Trevor's dad was a Methodist minister and my dad was a Mormon bishop at the time, and although they disagreed on the political spectrum, both his parents and my parents were very good friends and enjoyed going on dates together.
Marge McCallister was a second mother to me and the rest of the gang.  She is one of the happiest, most positive people I've ever met.  She enjoys the simple pleasures of life and family and friends.  
Just gratitude.  So glad I moved to Fairfax.  So glad I got to know these dear friends.  I don't have as much contact with them these days, but whenever I do it is nothing but the best of feelings for them and gratitude for the influence they were and are in my life. 

No comments: