Saturday, August 29, 2009

Mom Sale

There are several things I can do to make myself feel better when I get feeling stressed and anxious. One of my favorite things is to start throwing things away. It is soothing to have a few less things to worry about. A couple days back, I was organizing and chucking a few toys. Here's the conversation regarding a rarely, if ever, played with doll.

Mom: Els, can we get rid of this doll?

Elinor: (with feeling) No!

Mom: You never play with it.

Elinor: But it is special to me.

Mom: I'll give you a dollar if you'll throw it away.

Elinor: (with excitement and smiles) OKAY! What else can I throw away for a dollar?

Thus began the "Mom Sale" as opposed to the garage sale. I paid kids to throw out stuff they don't play with anymore. I did it. I do have some issues with it, but I did it and I slept just fine last night. Actually, I didn't sleep well at all, but for other reasons entirely unrelated.

"I should have" organized some garage sale so they could learn about earning money by selling stuff.

"I should have" some really organized system of earning money with extra jobs at home or an earned allowance.

"I should have" taken all the things we don't need anymore to D. I. (goodwill) to help those less fortunate than we are.

Sigh. There are a lot of things I should do. But, as a good friend told me and I quote (but you have to read it aloud) "Quit should-ing all over yourself".

Well put.

1 comment:

Andrea said...

Good advice. Good friend. ;0