Friday, January 6, 2012

No One Ever is to Blame

Sing with me now "No one everrrrr...is to blame, da da daaa."

Did you realize what you were supposed to be singing with me?  Howard Jones--"No One is to Blame".   So the great question to be asked in this evening's post is, who, if anyone is to blame for the life happenings at our house this week.  I suspect on some level I am responsible for them, but really... is anyone ever really to blame?

  • A couple of days ago I dropped Clark off at basketball practice and he had worn his shorts under his jeans.  He shed the jeans and headed into practice.  When I got home I grabbed the jeans out of the car and threw them in the washer.  I'd have them washed and dried before the man-child even missed them.  As it turns out, he did miss them because his new mp3 player from Christmas was in the pocket.  Oops.  Big oops.
         His exact words through his tears were, "Mom, you killed my mp3 player!" 

         There really is no other way to look at this one-- I am to blame.  Guess I'll be shopping for
         a new mp3 player.  Good thing it wasn't the expensive ipod touch that "everyone" else got for  
         Christmas.
         .
  • Elinor and I had a rough day yesterday.  I get it, full school days are not as much fun as Christmas vacation days.  The expectations for productivity are through the roof compared to just being expected to change your underwear and maybe comb your hair.  We butted heads, if you can really call it that.  You see, Elinor is not a fighter, at least not outwardly, so she just moved slower and I yelled louder.  No, it was not one of my finer mothering days.  But I ask you-- who is to blame for our rough day?  
        I was afraid you might say that.  I better find a new tactic.

  • As part of Operation: Get in Shape Girl, I have given up my beloved Dove Dark chocolate. But I have found a worthy, albeit slightly less satisfying replacement.  I keep a large bag of mini tootsie rolls in my kitchen pantry.  They're chocolatey, and sweet and they hit the spot for me.  I try to eat them surreptitiously, but of course my people always see me and then they clasp their hands together and beg for some as well.  BUT I DON'T WANT TO SHARE!!!!  I know, I am a stinker, but I had to endure watching everyone in this house gobbling Christmas candy and treats and anything else they wanted.  Can't they just leave me alone in peace with my tootsie rolls?  Am I being selfish?  Am I not setting a good example?  Can you blame me?  
        Don't answer that.

  • George gets a new change of clothes not less than 3 times a day, every day.  It does seem excessive, but the boy is on a liquid diet, and diapers can only hold so much.  That is probably too much information.  He's not actually on a true liquid diet, but it seems like it.  He doesn't eat much food, but he loves his milk and juice.  Good heavens, listen to me!  I should know better, but there it is.  Also, I am on a campaign to encourage all members of the family to CLOSE THE FREAKING BATHROOM DOORS!  It's not going so well, and that accounts for at least one clothing change a day.  Sorry, way TMI.
         You don't need to say it.  I know I am to blame.

  • Bethany got her first pair of point shoes this week and I went with her to the first part of her dance class on Wednesday so the school's director could talk to the moms and dancers.  She began by assuring us that they would be taking things very slowly, which was comforting, because I am not so keen on her starting point yet.  The director then proceeded to describe how to best deal with the inevitable blisters on their toes with foot soaks in epson salt and taping the toes and corn pads.  She told us that even if the girls have blisters they will still have to wear their point shoes because they need to build up their calluses.  Other moms were reminiscing their days of point work and blood soaking through their beautiful satin point shoes.  I left the studio thinking, I am leaving my sweet daughter to the wolves.  They don't really care about her feet!  I care about her feet!  Why are we doing this?  Are we making the right decision?  Will she blame me in the years to come for allowing her to mutilate her feet?  

For as much as I am to blame for much of what goes on in this house, I am enjoying a deplorable lack of actual guilt.  Must be all those endorphins:)

2 comments:

Mothership said...

We all have to go through the pain of forming calluses--those pointe shoes are just a really easy analogy. She, as you know, will be fine.

I used to buy those chewy chocolate vitamins so when the kids wanted me to share, I would remind them that it was my "medicine." Maybe you need a new wrapper.

Just look at that chubby, happy Georgie face. Obviously suffering from the liquid diet. You are reading too many parenting magazines in the dentist office. :)

And I thought that song was by REM. Justin would be so ashamed.

Love that you are real.

Gabrielle Kim said...

I love tootsie rolls too, but they don't save me any calories because it's way too easy to eat a whole bag in a day!
We also have a problem with bathroom doors being closed, in fact I think we are getting close to hippie status!
Good luck with point Bethany! Don't worry too much about her beautiful feet when she gets older because beautiful feet on full grown people is just an urban myth!