Friday, February 19, 2010

Grumpy Hour

I saw a bumper sticker (or maybe it was a license plate cover) that read, "Sometimes I wake up grumpy... and sometimes I let him sleep."

Poor Abe. This is probably very much how he feels about me. I am kind of grouchy in the morning. Well, not necessarily grouchy, but VERY groggy, which I'm sure comes across as grouchy. Then he comes home in the evening in my actually grouchy time. In between 5:00 and 6:30 pm I am frightening. I'm getting dinner ready, and helping straggling children get their school work finished, and listening to music practice, and trying to keep Cannon off the kitchen table, and I'm hungry and tired and I am biting everyone's head off.
So there you have it. I'm not proud of my behavior.

This evening Abe came home to find me asleep. I'm sure he breathed a sigh of relief and threatened the children that they had better not disturb me. As it turned out, I did get a lovely happy nappy and woke up refreshed. I avoided my whole grumpy hour (as opposed to happy hour) altogether. I must remember this tactic.

So lets talk Olympics. Are you loving them?

1. Why do all the luge guys look the same? They all have identical goatees and similar facial shapes. We call it attack of the clones. Actually, luge is one of the few events I don't find that interesting. I am particularly disturbed by double luge. I think it looks unnatural, but beyond that, what is the point? Why don't they have triple or quadruple luge? Why don't we just see how many human beings we can stack on top of each other and send down an ice track?

2. Short track. This is probably Abe's favorite event to watch (although he's gained a new appreciation for curling- not kidding). It is super exciting and unpredictable. I enjoy it also, but talk about anxiety! I almost can't handle it. It's worse than watching "24". In Clark's words, "I can't watch- I'm going to pee my pants!"

3. Iceskating. Who doesn't love iceskating. I guess most men don't particularly care for it, but I love it. What a poor sport the Russian who won the silver is. I think Evan Lysacek deserved to win and was very gracious about it. But did you see his Alfalfa hair when he did his spins. Hee hee hee. The women's figure skating will be near the end of the Olympics and one of our Americans is a girl named Rachel Platt (I think-too lazy to look up for sure). Anyway, when we were watching the U.S. Nationals Faith saw her and said, "She looks like a bunny". It was true. She's cute, but her face does indeed resemble a rabbit. See for yourself.

4. Shaun White in snowboard half pipe. Whoa! How does he do it so much better than everyone else?

5. Women's snowboard half pipe. Come on ladies. I know I can't snowboard at all, but it you can't land this stuff don't do it. They were wiping out all over the place. I suppose that is part of the sport, but I was disappointed.

6. I just told Abe I think I would like to go cross country skiing someday. I want to do the freestyle kind. If you've been watching your Olympics you'll know what kind that is. I think it looks fun without all the risk. Except for avalances. I'd still worry about that. Do you think I have anxiety issues?

7. I don't like Bob Costas. My mom didn't like him either. My kids keep asking why. I don't have a good answer.

I'd better go. Ice dancing is on!

1 comment:

Kelli said...

I love your "grumpy hour" tactic...