Thursday, March 4, 2010

We Are Down By Two

We are down by two children as of last night and this morning. Clark and Bethany are off on a legislative adventure with their Grandpa Cannon. My dad volunteers up at the the Capitol everyday all day long while the legislative session is in. I'm sorry I don't have the proper name for what he's doing but it involves "The Patrick Henry Caucus"-- a very conservative group.
He kindly offered to give all of us a tour around the Capitol during session. We have taken a field trip to the Capitol in the last year or so and I couldn't think of anything LESS pleasant than trying to keep tabs on Cannon in a formal public setting. So, Dad and I worked out a plan for have Clark and Bethany spend the night at their house and then head in with Grandpa in the morning and I'll pick up my people in the afternoon.

Last night Dad and Bev joined us for Clark's final pinewood derby. I must confess to having very high hopes for a first place finish. Alas, we were greviously disappointed. FIFTH! What is that? We had plans to slash the tires of the winners (if it wasn't us), but we withstood that temptation. Oh well. There's still hope for Cannon. We have six years to prepare.

Poor Elinor. She was very distraught about Clark and Bethany leaving. Mostly about Bethany leaving. I figured she was sad that she didn't get to go. But in all my motherly wisdom I knew it was best that she not go. It is going to be a long day for them and Elinor's not ready for that level and length of boredom. As it turns out, Elinor was sad that she wouldn't get to sleep with Bethany. How cute. We let Elinor have the comfort of watching a movie before bed. She chose "Pippi on the Run".
Maybe you're not familiar with the "Pippi" movies. I watched them as a kid. They were made in Swedish, then voiced over in English. They are no where near quality productions, the material is sometimes questionable and the characters are quite naughty. And I LOVE THEM and Elinor loves them. But, I can't really recommend them.

3 comments:

Abe Fox said...

Yah....like the scene up in the hay-loft where all the little Swedish kids are whispering (supposed) swear words to one another (you can't hear what they are whispering).

And Pippi is commenting on how "bad" each swear word is....from "Not very bad"...to...."Oh, that one is really terrible".

Wonderful scene, just wonderful.

Abe Fox said...

Look see....I have a new blogspot-commenter picture.

Betsy Fox said...

Ooh, that is a nice picture.