Thursday, March 25, 2010

Whew!

I hosted a book club tonight for a women's neighborhood/ward book club. I hosted because I chose the book for the month. I chose "Little Men" by Louisa May Alcott. There were a few women who came (and they were delightful), but I don't think I chose a very popular choice. That's okay. I really liked it and it is done so I don't have to worry about it anymore.
However, my house is very clean. That is, my house is as clean as it ever gets. My little people all stayed sequestered upstairs watching Planet 51.

But let's talk about book club choices. For our "family book club" that we've been apart of for about five years, we are taking turns choosing the books. Abe chose the book for this month--Contact. It's a sci-fi book. Last Saturday I started reading it. I think I was pretty grouchy before I started reading it. But see, sci-fi is by far my least favorite genre of books. So after a couple of hours of reading, I was irrate! I was convinced that Abe had chosen this book on purpose just to torture me. Please keep in mind that I am pregnant and have more than a few moments of irrationality. This was definitely one of them. Abe implored me to stop reading. He said we'd just watch the movie together. Which is what we are doing right now, even as I write. For the record, I do plan on reading the rest before book club on Saturday. I am feeling much more rational at the moment.

I need to go now because I've got to figure out who the little actress in the Contact movie is. What else have I seen her in ??? ARGGGGH! I love the internet.

5 comments:

Betsy Fox said...

Aha! I figured it out before I even looked it up. The young Jodie Foster is played by the girl who played Lydia in the Kiera Knightly Pride and Prejudice. I am pretty good at placing faces. I can sleep in peace now.

Mothership said...

We're reading Catch 22 this month and I'm being fairly grouchy about it, also. I read about 1/3 then put it down and have read two other books. I'll need to read another 1/3 before I can relax myself and read something else again. Some of these books can be SO difficult for me. I suppose learning isn't supposed to be all a walk in the park. GRRRR.

I do enjoy sci-fi, though. I wish you luck, my dear.

Kelli said...

I so want to be apart of the book club...but I can't seem to figure out how to get it into my schedule. Darn it!

Amy F. said...

Good for you for keeping up the bookclub for 5 years!! I started my own for RS and sister-in-laws and so far, Marj and Mary and I are it. :) I guess classic literature doesn't go over too well in my ward, but we're having fun anyway. :)

Baden Fox said...
This comment has been removed by the author.