Saturday, August 28, 2010

Don't Worry, Be Happy

George was four weeks old yesterday. He's doing fantastic. But I'll be honest with you, there has definitely been some crying at our house over the past month. It's mostly coming from these two little sweeties, but I'll admit I've done my fair share and the other kids have contributed a bit as well. It takes some time to adjust to a new member of the family. Thankfully Abe has been beyond patient and helpful.
Moms are in the business of care giving. It's what we do-- we take care of our people. We try to make sure everyone's needs are met. As my Aunt Carolyn says, we are constantly taking our kids' emotional temperatures. Watching for signs that that one may need an encouraging word and a hug, reminding another to speak kindly, knowing that one needs a nap, trying to remember the last time that one ate. It's our job to help everyone be happy by caring and nurturing them.
It is very hard for me to watch my people feeling unhappy and not be able to meet their needs, because only time and working through the adjustment period will fix what's "wrong" right now. Not that I think we should always fix things for them, but it's sad to see them sad. Not that every moment has been horrendous--it hasn't, but a few more horrendous moments than usual. And now I am officially rambling and can't catch my train of thoughts. Sorry-- it's late.
I have more fun pictures to put up, but that will have to wait until tomorrow.
Oh, I just caught the thought train I was on at first-- my point was that TODAY was a great day! My people were all very happy all day today. Everyone's emotional temperature was healthy and it was WONDERFUL and I was so happy!!!! I felt capable of dealing with life today-- HOORAY! We shall see what tomorrow brings as I am planning to take George to church for the first time. Wish us luck!

2 comments:

christini yogini said...

You're an awesome mama, Betsy! Thanks for being a great role model to all those around you. Hope today is another GREAT day!

camfox said...

I agree. I think you’re marvelous. Thanks for your example. So glad to hear you all had a happy day. It'll keep getting better. (But of course, you already know that :)