Saturday, January 20, 2018

The Greatest "Snowman"

Be still my heart! 
Saturday is P-Day for Clark in the MTC!
I've been sending Clark packages each week he's been gone.  Besides very heartfelt prayers, it's about all I can do for him.  But I did ask something in return this week-- a picture of just him wearing his missionary tag.  He is a good boy and sent me one today.  Happy dance!
I love to read his letters and hear him share his testimony, but also share some of the funnies of a bunch of 18 and 19 year old boys living and learning together.  He's quite entertaining to me.
This picture?  I'd love to know more about it because 1) Clark doesn't wear glasses 2)Why is he wearing Abe's mission coat inside? 3)Who are his fellow dashing young missionaries?
We sent him off with Abe's old mission trench coat.  It was in good shape, it fit, and it was free.  But then I was feeling a little bad and thought his coat was outdated and maybe I should go buy him a new coat while coats are on sale.  I asked him and he said "NO!"  He said he liked the coat and it was an object of some notice in the MTC-- other missionaries hoping to trade for it. 
Who knew? 
Abe and I went to a movie this morning.  THIS MORNING!! You want to feel like you are shirking adult responsibilities?  Go to a movie before 11:00 am.  It was glorious.  We went to see The Greatest Showman and HOLY HANNAH!  It was.... I am really struggling to find words to describe just how much I loved it.  I've been listening to the music all day.  

In other very, very exciting news... as of Friday, Abe has officially left Winder Farms!  In November he started working for Business Promotions, consulting with dentist and orthodontists offices around the country (no traveling involved).  The company designs websites and does search engine optimization and such and it's great and he loves it and the work hours ROCK!!!  
We're so glad to have him around on Saturdays again!  And much to the joy of the children, we had our first snow of the season-- better late than never.  The snow looks pretty patchy in this picture, but it was much better on the actual hill.
Girl party!
It is so great to find a family with whom the ages of children match up AND you thoroughly enjoy one another's company.  The Chases have three kiddos that match up with our youngest three.  SCORE!  And fun on the sledding hill!
Dog pile, penguin style.
Preparing for the Mom Race-- head first on stomachs.  Pretty brave and crazy for us.
And we're off!
It's been a while since I've done good sledding-- with pregnancy and nursing babies and such.  Today was really fun.
Peter was a great sledding buddy.  Then we made a lot of snowballs and had a grand snowball fight.  I think some of my piano students we were sledding with had too much fun throwing snowballs at their piano teacher!  Rude!  But I suppose I had it coming.  Oh, and I totally retaliated.  Yep, I'm that kind of adult.
I hope we get some more snow this year for more sledding.  I don't think we quite got our fill for the year.
A  funny moment was when the girls buried Connor's head in snow and then we sang, "I can't feel my face when I'm with you."  So that's what that song is about!  Ha, ha, ha-- so funny.  My kids tell me I made jokes and then I crack up at my own jokes.  Guilty.
In the same way that Clark doesn't like ice skating,  Elinor is not a fan of sledding.  Most people like it, but she just doesn't want to do it.  Is it the cold?  It is the danger of hurtling down an icy hill?  Is it the trudging back up the hill to do it all again?  Whatever her reasons, she does not, and has not, liked sledding for quite some time.  So fortunately for me, she stayed home with little Greta while the rest of us played.
But she is lovely and if she doesn't want to sled, she doesn't have to sled. 
On a side note, the sledding hill was practically deserted.  How could this be?  It was the first snow of the season on a Saturday.  Well, I'll tell you.  There was a man-hunt for a criminal fugitive in the area.  I think there was a some sort of shelter-in-place lock down in nearby neighborhoods.  Ooh-- freaky!  All's well that ends well.  
Handy little snow shovelers this morning.

No comments: