Sunday, May 10, 2020

Sorry, Not Sorry

Dear friends dropped off supplies for s'mores.  I wasn't at home when the drop off occurred, but all four of the younger kids found me when I got home and were anxious to tell me.  It really made their night.
The next evening we roasted hot dogs...
... immediately followed by s'mores.  It's the simple things.  And I'm sure I've said it before, but in my opinion, the backyard cookout give us the biggest bang for the buck.  That is to say, it is a very enjoyable and relaxing activity for very little money or effort.  
Bethany recently played a violin concert on the front patio of an assisted living home for the aging mother of family in our ward.  A few extended family members were there for the "party" as well.  I went along to be her assistant.  The birthday girl really seemed to appreciate the music and it was special and surreal to be there-- everyone in masks and keeping their distance.
In this picture Bethany was playing happy birthday and everyone was singing.
We've had a pair of ducks hanging out in our yard for a while and it's been quite exciting for the little kids. There have been a few questions to answer.   No, we aren't going to trap them.  No, aren't going to keep them.  No, they can't come inside the house.  No, they don't want to be held.
Now, this picture is somewhat controversial.  They are not wearing masks.  They are not social distancing.  This group, plus a few more not pictured, went camping last weekend.  Our family had been trying pretty hard to keep isolated.  You may judge, and we may deserve it, but I'll tell you something-- young adults are different birds than nine year old boys.  I can enforce things with the youngers that I can't with the olders.   The young adults, as it turns out, are their own persons.  So anyway, we're not much good at social distancing anymore.  I could go on to explain all the reasons why, but I'd rather not on this blog.  
Abe and I wear our masks when we go out to the grocery store to help "protect" others (or so the experts tell us these days), but we're happy to see things opening back up.
  Bethany loved being together with her favorite neighborhood childhood friends.
They've grown into such lovely young ladies.
So much for social distancing.
Since the social distance barrier had been broken between the families, we just invited the whole Johansen family over for Sunday dinner and games.  We did it and I'm not sorry.
Clark has his apartment down in Provo, but he works here in Riverton-- so that's a rather long commute.  Sometimes he'll just crash at our house (much to everyone's delight).  This was one morning when the college kids (Clark and Bethany) stayed up late and just slept where they landed.

This may be my favorite picture of the week.  I don't think it needs much explanation.  She's fabulous.
We've been noticing lately that Cannon is a dancer even when he doesn't mean to be.  This is how he stood when asked to say a meal prayer recently.
The sisters spent an evening at a hammock park recently.  Doesn't that sound so relaxing.  I think I need more hammocking in my life.  
Faith figured out how to hang her hammock in the backyard.  It's where she likes to do her school work. 
In other Covid 19 updates:
-- The boys Ballet West Academy classes will remain online for the rest of the academic year.  That was disappointing, but at least they can still do some classes and we don't have to drive anywhere.  Which is nice.
--I started teaching piano lessons in person this past week and that has been really, really good.
-- My allergies are OUT OF CONTROL this year.  Not good.  By my calculations, I have three more weeks until my 3 month allergy season is over.  I want to like spring... I really do, but allergies make it hard. 

No comments: