Saturday, October 9, 2021

Good Things of Fall


High school swim season is back!!!!!  Faith had tryouts at the end of September and she pretty well killed it:)  She came out as the top-ranked girl at Riverton.  I guess all those hours and hours in the pool are paying off!  She was pretty happy! So now she practices with her high school team at 5 am every weekday and with her club team six days a week at 3 pm.  And it's still not enough for her.  She counts down the hours till she can get back in the water.  

And, of course, THIS is happening right now, too.  Nutcracker season is busy and awesome.  One month till Central Utah Ballet's production opens.
The costumes are going to be so beautiful in this production!  I'm so excited.
On October 1st the kids started making napkin/tissue ghosts in preparation for Halloween.  This is a long-standing Fox kid tradition.
George used his mad-creative skills to fashion a cardboard vampire-- another long-standing Fox tradition.  It makes my heart happy how many traditions have been passed down from the older kids to the younger kids.  


Writing comic books was all the rage at our house last week.  Here is Peter showing and reading his creations to Greta.  I love it when kids get engaged in a creative/learning project that's even better than what I might have planned for them for school.
I especially loved when Greta wrote a song entitled "I Love Cats".  Her love of Cats has not waned and  I hope it never does.  Although, I suppose it would be strange if, as a teenager, she still meows along to the hymns at church.  
Several years ago Cannon shared with us his surprise to learn that this was a handicap sign.  He had thought it was an "emergency potty" sign.  We've gotten a lot of laughs from that over the years.  So the other day I was on a little walk, while Greta was at dance class, and I came across what is clearly an emergency potty sign!  I was highly amused. 
Last Saturday I went on a date with myself. It was a perfect, beautiful fall morning and I walked to the high school to watch a few hours of the marching band competition.  I don't have any children in the band, although my friend's son is in it.  Rather I just really love marching band, having been a serious bando in my day.  So I went by myself and reminisced my band days and thought of my dear friends who I still love and think of often. 
I don't think marching band gets enough credit for the positive impact it has on young people's lives.  It takes a tremendous amount of time, work, and discipline, and it pays off big time.  I had such a lovely, relaxing time and Riverton High School won first place in its division.
Faith had her concerto and duet recital and Federation performances this week.  This was Sariah's last recital because she is a senior this year.  I have a very soft spot in my heart for Sariah--she was one of my first piano students.  I'm so proud of how far she has come with piano.   They both did great!  Here are some videos of their pieces.
La La Land
Abe and I got to go see The Secret Garden at Hale Center Theater this week.  How lucky are we?? Oh, I love this play so much!  

No comments: