Friday, June 16, 2023

Mexico Day 1 and 2-- Travel and Xplore

Teaching piano lessons has blessed my life in lots of ways, some of those ways are very unexpected.  For example, over the years, I have taught lessons to three moms, who have become very dear friends to me.  One of those friends-- Gretchen-- recently invited me to join her on a trip to Mexico, where she and her husband were continuing their efforts to prepare their condo for personal and Airbnb use.  

WHAAAT??  Mexico Betsy?  Will she be anything like Island Betsy?  Spoiler alert:  Yes, she is a lot like Island Betsy!

But before I go into all of our adventures, I've been thinking about the blessings of friendships.  I know that isn't a very original thought,  but it never ceases to amaze me.   You are going about your regular life and work and activities, and you meet people.  And maybe you'll just cross paths for a very brief time and you'll never see them again.  But sometimes, those "chance" encounters change your life.  It's just that you never know it at the time.  It's a beautiful thing how the Lord puts us in each others paths to make our lives better.  I am quite sure I find myself on the receiving end of those blessings far more often than I could ever deserve. 

   Now, on with the adventure--the condo is in Puerto Morelos-- a suburb just south of Cancun.  We flew into Cancun on May 21st.  It was a very early morning!  Gretchen's husband, Russ (blue shirt) and his long-time friend Lamar.                 .

First stop the local Costco-- you know how I'm into eating local and all that.  (not really)  Here we are having dinner to be followed by a lot of shopping for items for the condo.  
Ahh...the comfort and familiarity of Costco.  However, the armed guards were a new and novel touch.
Gretchen posing by the fire department and our friendly, neighborhood security/Desert Storm soldier on the right.  Things you don't see in Riverton, Utah.
There was some question as to whether everything could fit into the rented minivan.  For the record, I always believed:)

Day 2 was Xplore--HOLY SMOKES!!!!
This whole day was one of the most adventurous, exhilarating, breathtaking days of my whole life! (thus far:)  We ziplined on 14 ziplines all over the park-- SO MUCH FUN!  How did I get here??!!
I mean, seriously?


I especially liked the ziplines that ended with a dip in a cenote.  
Just so so so fun.  I felt so ALIVE!
So much of the park is caves with the most beautiful formations.


We swam in a cave river!!!!!!  This was a highlight of the day for me.
So cool
Before our piano friendship, Gretchen and I were ballet carpool buddies.  You just never know.

All of this was just BEFORE lunch.  We had a whole afternoon of thrills to follow a delicious meal that was a part of the all inclusive price of the whole day of adventures.  Best $130 bucks I ever spent!
Ha ha ha!  How exciting!



The river walk-- not as deep as the river swim.  
This slide was hilarious and when we went together we got going so fast.  We repeated this one because it was such a blast.
Hammock ziplining-- would highly recommend!
What even in the...??  Other worldly.
I am so grateful to have gotten to live a day like this and grateful to Gretchen for the invite and being a  marvelous tour guide and adventure buddy:)

No comments: